Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a serious flaw in the camera?

Page 3 of 5
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:19:33 -0500, "Steve Barker"

It just is not approved by the testing labs that set HVAC standards and will not meet code anywhere.
Steve Barker wrote:

That's all pretty brilliant, but all of that has been covered in the thread. Does no one read prior to posting anymore?
--
John McWilliams

Steve Barker wrote:

Ironically, NOT for ducts. I suspect some fly-by-night heating and air conditioning people used it, and it took that name, but it has been shown to be a very ineffective tape for that application.
Steve Barker LT wrote:

The original product was called 'Duct tape', and while it was great for many uses, with a metalized cloth backing, and a rather thick adhesive, it was tested on actual ductwork, and found severely lacking for this use because the adhesive becomes hard when exposed to heat, and the tape turns loose. However, it has MANY other great uses, and the astronauts on Apollo 13 wouldn't have survived had they not had it along. It can be a valuable asset around the house, as long as you don't try to use it on heating ducts.
The product known as 'Duck tape' is simply a cheap knock-off of the original product, and is, in my experience, vastly inferior.
Ron Hunter wrote:

Crikey, Ron, can you not freakin' read?
all of this has been covered. days ago.
--
lsmft

And what is worse is that the stuff commonly called "duct tape" - fabric tape with a silvery but non-metallic coating is actually a very bad choice for sealing ducts. There are varieties of tape that are made for sealing ducts but the common "duct" tape is not one of them.
I am surprised that no one has mentioned gaffers tape.
Robert Haar wrote:

Gaffer's tape is mentioned in the Wiki article, and it's mentioned in the first line that duct tape ain't so good for ducts.
--
john mcwilliams

John wrote on Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:05:09 -0700:
JM> Robert Haar wrote: ??>> On 10/21/07 3:01 PM, "William Sommerwerck"
??>> ??>>>> Where in world did you come up with duck? One doesn't ??>>>> tape ducks; one tapes ducts. Except it isn't very good ??>>>> for that... ??>>> So why the latter? ??>>> ??>>> It might originally have been called duck tape. See the ??>>> Etymology section of the Wikipedia article. ??>>> ??>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape ??>>> ??>>> The issue is confusing, because it wasn't used for ducts ??>>> until long after it was invented. ??>> ??>> And what is worse is that the stuff commonly called "duct ??>> tape" - fabric tape with a silvery but non-metallic ??>> coating is actually a very bad choice for sealing ducts. ??>> There are varieties of tape that are made for ??>> sealing ducts but the common "duct" tape is not one of ??>> them. ??>> ??>> I am surprised that no one has mentioned gaffers tape.
JM> Gaffer's tape is mentioned in the Wiki article, and it's JM> mentioned in the first line that duct tape ain't so good JM> for ducts.
Despite Wikipedia, I think we should stick to photography :-) I'm not sure whether we are talking about the same thing!
James Silverton Potomac, Maryland
E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Despite having used it for many years I've never heard the apostrophe added. It's gaffer tape.
--
*A hangover is the wrath of grapes.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Kinda like "Can peas" or "Tin peas" in a sense. I'm sure many call it so without the possessive, but if it's used mostly by gaffers, it should be in the form I put it. Unless there is a widely used verb (by those in the Biz.) "to gaff".
--
john mcwilliams

The 'gaffer' is the charge hand electrician on a film etc crew. And only really one per unit. With a large crew on a big rig he is more likely to delegate the jobs needed to be done than do them himself - like any good crew chief. Organise the work among his crew to prevent two doing the same job - or the lazy ones doing nothing. Perhaps the primary use of gaffer tape these days is fixing filters to window frames etc. But I dunno if that was the original intended use - although old I'm not *that* old. ;-) But the same tape is equally used by other crafts within the trade - even although others also have their own tape, like camera tape, fairly similar to gaffer in construction in that it's fabric reinforced but 1" wide and white and originally used to seal film tins.
--
*I started out with nothing... and I still have most of it.

John wrote on Sun, 21 Oct 2007 10:25:15 -0700:
??>> Then you don't know the proper way to use duck (duct) ??>> tape. In a case like this, you use the tape to hold ??>> something against the door, so it CAN'T move.
JM> Where in world did you come up with duck?? One doesn't tape JM> ducks; one tapes ducts. except it isn't very good for JM> that.....
I see the name is much discussed later but I would debate whether it is not useful for ducts. It's doing very well in my house and is good for a lot of other things!
James Silverton Potomac, Maryland
E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not
John McWilliams wrote:

SIGH. It was named DUCK tape by GIs who used it to waterproof shipping containers, because 'Water flows off it, like water off a duck's back'.
prove it.
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Ex-urban legend. Plus this was already covered, ad naseum.
--
lsmft

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Duct tape fans unite! http://www.ducttapeguys.com/onaroll/newsletter/040106.html
--
Frank ess

DUCT tape is made of METAL!

Also possibly because it was made of cotton duck cloth.

Some american hardware stores stock duct tape with the trade name Duck.
Makes me laugh.

http://www.duckproducts.com/products/subcategory.asp?CatID=1&SubID=1
John McWilliams wrote:

It was named 'Duck Tape' by the military, long before it was availible as duct tape.
prove it.