Why can't I find a polarized replacement plug.

Well, the Electrolux was unwieldy, with skids. But I didn't use it. My mother did the vacuuming. What little experience I have with it says it sucked.....just fine. Only canister vacuum that's been used where I've lived. We've been using a Bissel Powerforce Bagless for about 5 years. Doesn't eat belts like what we had before. Think it cost $49.99. After we tried it out I bought another one and put it in the garage rafters. Good price, and it's a good vacuum for us. It's still there, in its box. I'm set for life.
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 3:54:25 PM UTC-5, Vic Smith wrote:

You bought TWO? OMG. You must be a LOT younger than me. I'm at the point where I only fill the gas tank halfway.
(and I have to run to the store often - I never buy more than a quart of milk at a time, and green bananas haven't been on the list for some years now)

A canaster Elecrtolux we bought about 30 years ago had the retracting cord.
I just wish that we could have found an upright that has a bag for it. Looked around several local stores and all they have are bagless. I hate those, but did not have much choice.
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:13:01 -0600, Vic Smith

FWLIW, I only go for junk vacuums, whatever I find in the trash, almost all of which are fine when the stringy clog is removed, and I've seen a retractable cord. I don't remember on what.
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:13:01 -0600, Vic Smith

You must be a young'un.Kenmore vacuums were not "high end" and the vast majority of them had retractable cords. Most of the old "torpedos" didn't and very few uprights - but the squat canisters almost all did. Hoover built retractable uprights -= and in fact still do.. And at $129 it is NOT a high end machine. Eureka's AirSpeed is not that expensive either at $129-$159 - and has a retractable cord. So does the Panasonic JetForce ($250) and JetTurn ($166)
In canisters, the Bissel Cyclonic, ($140), and Hoover WindTunnel ($180), The Kenmore Elites, and Progressives ($350) ,the Koblentz Commercials ($149), - just for starters in CURRENTLY AVAILABLE units.
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 18:14:55 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

You gotta be kidding. $50 is plenty to pay for a vacuum cleaner. Beyond that is "high end" to me.
Vic Smith wrote:

Hi, Ever compared high end one and 50.00 one side by side? I'm with built-in one. They came a long way and many features and options. I have a wet and dry shop vac. in addition.

Nope. As long as it has a driven brush and good suction and is reliable it works for me. Don't need headlights and a horn on it. I don't have wall-to-wall carpets. Just area rugs and runners on hardwood floors. My $50 vacuum cleaner works well. But since it cleans 8x5 carpets just fine, I suspect it would clean 30x40's as well. Just have to empty it more often. Why spend money for nothing? I've got a wet/dry shop vac too.
Vic Smith wrote:

Hmm, If you ever have a chance to compared them side by side on your rug, say use your 50.00 one first and then go over the rug again with high end one and see. There is a noticeable difference. I have pets in the house. Years ago when built in ones start showing up, I called a salesman for a demo in my house. I just vacuumed whole house using name brand canister one. When the demo unit went over the living room carpet again, I couldn't believe what it picked up. Since then I always have built-in one.

I don't see where there would be a difference, unless spending more gives you magic. The 50 buck Bissell has so much suction it will pull the rugs up off the floor if you move it too slowly. The brush does its job too. Don't know the HP, but it draws 10 amps. We don't want a central unit because the wife doesn't want to drag 30' of hose around. Just the hose takes up more space than the upright. Piping to every room, holes in the walls, the hose dragging on and marring the woodwork. I know some people like it, but I think it's just a fetish. If it's expensive, it must be "good." And nothing will clean a carpet better than a carpet beater. Anyway, my wife is happy with the Bissell. She's the one who wanted an extra one in case the first one ever quits. We just have one little dog now, but before our long haired big dog died, her hair messed up the brush bearings on our previous upright Dirt Devil. Think that was 50 bucks too. Bought 2 new brushes for it. Haven't had that problem with the Bissell, but it could be because the dog is gone.
On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 23:17:46 -0600, Vic Smith

On the other hand, I think no matter which one goes first, you'll find plenty of dirt in the second vacuum too. That was the secret that door to door salesmen relied on, when they tried to show housewives that there current vacuum was no good.

Wouldn't be surprised.

We've had the Beam built-in for almost 30 years and I have a 7 gallon shop-vac in the garage as well as a Bissel wet/vac/carpet cleaner. A Sputnik and a Kirby at the office,
On 2/20/2015 3:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I learned to stop buying those cheap vacuums and buy only commercial machines. Metal beater bar, steel foot release, steel bottom plate, 50' cord. Generally $200-250 and not available at department stores. You either get it at a vacuum store or a place like the Costco Business Center (not regular Costco).

Generally when buying appliances you want appliances that don't "suck" $50 vacuums dont suck, they "suck"
I've rescued quite a few vacuums from the kerb over the years - some cheap ones and some high end ones. The high end ones are worth sorting out - usually just a bad connection somewhere. The cheap ones are seldom worth fixing, but I waste time on them anyway - I give the good ones to good homes. That's where the Kirby came from. Just shortened the cord by about 2 feet and it was fine. (that's a "high end" upright at $2000 a pop!!!!!)
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 12:36:42 PM UTC-6, TimR wrote:

Fact...you don't give-up even with data. I'm done with you...

my 1958 electrolux canister cord doesn't retract, one stores it by winding it around the front air intake.

Very good.
And save the plug and 6" of cord from appliances one throws away in the future. At least one of them.
But has anyone suggested Ace Hardware or True Value. In many areas they have a lot more stuff than Home Depot.
Or buy a 3 prong plug and cut off or tear out the the ground prong. The remaing two are still polarized iirc.
OP, just looked at the Amazon url, and I dont't think it's quick attach. And I think they sell this at real hardware stores, if not Home Depot.
Now that Amazon is pushing one-day shipping, or even 2 or 3-day, they'd better start giving the shipping charge, because if people want something in 1 to 3 days, they're not going to have time to build up a 35 dollar order. For some reason I think the shipping is quite high if the order is under 35 dollars. And yet they raised the amount for free from 25 to 35 not long ago. Amazon now charges sales tax in Md. and almosty every state soon, because they have put a warehouse in Md. and plan to in the other states. I wonder if their cleverness is on the decline.
On Friday, February 20, 2015 at 9:34:31 AM UTC-6, micky wrote:

You have to leave the ground prong to insure the polarization, otherwise it could be inserted upside-down! (so you don't remember correctly)

Why take out the ground? Your house has 3 wire outlets, and only lamp extention cords are 2 wire. And no, most 3 wire plugs are NOT polarized - they don't have to be because it is virtually impossible to plug them in backwards.

On Fri, 20 Feb 2015 13:13:02 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

That's what I was thinking of. I use extension cords in many many places.

I'll have to check what I've got, to see where I got that idea.