Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive?

Some of the "snappy" boxes are crap too. They don't make their own boxes. There are a few companies that make alt all the major brand boxes - the rest are made off-shore,
Mac, Hebrand, Snap-on, and the "proffesional" Craftsman and Mastercraft boxes of years ago were all made by the same 3 companies - and in many cases parts were interchangeable.
Now often the "off brand" American manufacturers make better boxes than Snap-On. Beach is low end. Waterloo makes them across the spectrum, from what I've seen. Lots of others out there.
Mine is an old Herbrand - cost me half what a friend paid for his snap-on. I've still got mine. His has been replaced at least twice. I had mine sand-blasted and repainted at about 15 years.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The last job I had where I needed a toolbox I got a Waterloo one. It worked just fine. That said, they're not cheap either. You get what you pays for, I guess.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

This is pure nonsense. Apparently you've been buying the Sears brand, not the Craftsman brand. I've done nearly all my own automobile service since I was 18 (I'm in my 50s now), including several engine and transmission rebuilds, and use almost nothing but Craftsman tools. In more than thirty years, I've had exactly three Craftsman sockets fail in use.
Doug Miller wrote:

I've found that the sockets to be mostly OK, only broken a few of them, but I don't like their newer ratchets very much, they seem to gunk up and stop ratcheting a lot sooner than the older ones did and they are more difficult to disassemble and clean. Also the Sears stores have stopped carrying the 1 cent rebuild kits in the stores so now you have to trade in your old ratchet for a rebuilt one, not so good when you have a nice 40 year old polished handle ratchet.
I also have twisted the handle off a brand new Torx screwdriver with only the torque I can apply with my bare hand while attempting to disassemble an old AFB...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

It was the craftsman brand. After 4 replacements of the same socket, all unable to handle 40 ft-lbs, I bought a whole set from kmart for the same price and they had no problem with the torque. This was pre-merer, around 1985. I don't know if craftman was better before that, I'm not sure where you'd find craftman from the 60's.

Obviously they made a bad batch, which you had the bad luck to get hold of. As Mark Twain once wrote, though, "A body should be careful to take out of an experience only the lesson that is contained in it, and no more. A cat that sits on a hot stove will never do so again -- but neither will she ever sit on a cold one, either." Your mistake is condemning the entire brand line on the basis of one incident, one time.
The vast majority of my Craftsman tools were bought pre-merger, too -- and *none* of them "from the 60's" (when I was in grade school) -- not one of mine is older than about 1976, give or take a year or so.

It may be you were putting 40 Lb-ft on a 12 point socket applied to a hex head bolt/nut.. Or maybe a Torx head fastener. Not accepted practice, and usually commented on in the repair manual from the manufacturer. When in doubt, use a impact socket.
Joe

Pffffft. There's no need to use impact sockets for only 40 foot-pounds, standard sockets work just fine. There's nothing wrong with using 12-point sockets at that low a torque, either. What gives you the idea that doing so is "not accepted practice"?
On Sep 27, 12:52pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I think I have broken three sockets in my life. One I had a three foot piece of pipe on a 3/8 pull handle, one was made in Taiwan and the other I had the socket cocked on the bolt. I should have broken it loose with a box end wrench.
Jimmie
Joe wrote:

I agree with doug, hell i can put down 40 ft lbs with a 3/8 ratchet and one hand. i've used craftsman chrome 6pt sockets exclusively , and have never owned a set of impact sockets except for my reversible lug nut socket. And they've all been on the 3/8 drive and 1/2" drive impacts from time to time.

Craftsman wrenches, ratchets & sockets are fine. I've been using them for years and I cannot recall the last time I broke a socket & whether it was even a Craftsman.
I've never broken a Craftsman wrench; and I used them in a heavy structural engineering laboratory for nearly 20 years.
I think Snap-On tools are very nice....I have a Snap-On "short series" metric combination wrench set, it is a set of finely finished wrenches that are a pleasure to use.
I was given them as a gift. When I went to set up the laboratory, I really wanted to go with Snap-On but in 1988 the Snap-On vs Craftsman cost premium as 5x!
OP- If you really need / want a tool box like the one for sale...get it. I personally opted for a different storage method & spent my $'s on the tools.
cheers Bob
I just couldn't justify the cost so I settled on Craftsman.

Ive had a couple of Craftsman ratchets go bad and broke a couple of screwdrivers that I was using for pry bars but that is about it. I did break a couple of shovels in quick succession once. I took them back to Sears, The lady who had been running the tool department took a look at them and said the grain on the handles were running the wrong way. Checked the rest of the shovels and said they were all bad. She then pulled them all off the shelf and gave me a fiberglass handled shovel, no extra charge. I wish I could say the same about their power tools.
Jimmie

The cost gets me too, I can buy a set of Craftsman sockets for the cost of one or two Snap-On ones. Knock on wood, I haven't had to buy a new hand tool in a long time..
Jimmie
Aaron Fude wrote:

Because it's name and quality?
Tony Hwang wrote:

Aaron Fude wrote:

Yes!!!!! I paid close to that just for the smaller top part. Ahhhh, maybe that is all he is selling for $450? The photo sure makes it look that way although I only count 12 drawers on the top box.
Aaron Fude wrote: ...

HTH can we know?
Ya' gotta need for it?
Assuming it isn't as somebody noted "hot" and hasn't been abused, it would appear to be cheap. That would tend to make one (or at least me and one other poster, apparently) wonder about the "why" of the sale unless were estate or similar (although then would seem the logical thing would be auction)...
Aaron Fude wrote:

Depends on your goals.
It's like driving a Prius, only different. Most tools can be carried in a milk carton.
By owning a Snapon tool box, you show the rest of the mechanics fraternity you are a serious player in the game. The lay public has no idea about a SnapOn tool and is indifferent where you keep your stuff.
Again, potential employees and other mechanics will be impressed.
september.org:

Because you can't go into every store and buy one. The makers of them want to rip you off with high prices.

Some like to show off. They are called "Posers". They have the most expensive of everything they have. Big motors in their cars and boats, but don't race. They mostly have harleys with all the chrome goodies but can't ride for shit. They like to "look the part". Reminds me of women who have to have all the make-up because they have no natural beauty, or inner beauty or that matter.
It's not the quality of tools, it's how the mechanic uses it.
Hank <~~~~naturally ugly :-)