Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive?

Page 1 of 3

Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.
I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.
Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k - what the heck?
That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):
http://freeboundaries.com/snapon.jpg
for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?
Thanks,
Aaron
Aaron Fude wrote:

Call the cops and see if anyone is missing one, first. That is well below market price. Not slamming Snap-On, mind you- their stuff is built like a tank, and that matters if you are making a living with it. But, IMHO, you are paying something for the name and the mystique. As in 'he has a snap-on kit- he must be a real pro', etc.
I'll pay some extra for quality, but I won't pay 2x or 3x or more. Not being a wrench-turner in my day job, plain old Craftsman is 'good enough' for me. (actually, all my tool boxes at the moment are plastic, living in a damp world like I do...) Not that I have room or need for a roll-around anyway.
-- aem sends...

My experience with craftman is that they are worse of a ripoff than any brand in existance. I've had more craftsman tools break than the cheapest crap I've bought at k-mart. For the price of a single craftsman socket, I can buy a whole set at k-mart and they won't crack or fly part under 50 ft-lbs like the craftsman sockets will.
AZ Nomad wrote:

Hi, Craftsman was good when it was made by Singer. FWIW, they still honor life time warranty after your knuckle get hurts, LOL!
Tony Hwang wrote:

Singer, the sewing machine company?
Tony Hwang wrote:

I'll note in passing, that for the last several years, Kmart also sells Craftsman.
Yes, they aren't as good as they used to be, but the walk in and walk out replacement guarantee (which still applies to the non-powered tools) is worth something. You do need to buy them in sets, on sale, though. Their regular set prices, and their single-tool prices, are not good. There are other good 'house' brands out there, like the Kobalt line at Lowes (which I understand is made by one of the companies that make or used to make tools for Sears). Some of the Stanley-branded wrench sets also seem to be from the same OEM foundries.
But I still say that for the home DIY user, who can't chase all over town for prestige brands at industrial suppliers, or chase down a roving truck, Craftsman is still a good compromise solution, and the best way to start building up a tool library. Just watch the sale flyers, and when one of the larger sets is on sale for a price you can stand, go for it. 80-20 rule applies- 80% of your tasks will use the same 20% of the tools over and over again. If you do have an unusual project that calls for a special tool, that is when you start searching around.
Now as to the boxes themselves, which started this thread- sure, go look at the $400 Snap-on. See what shape it is in, and if all the parts are there, and if all the drawers work smoothly. Make sure all the pieces are in fact Snap-on. Lots of mechanics have mixed sets, since the sizes are pretty standard. For people who just need a small box for at home, use your eyes, hands, and common sense. Does it have sharp edges that will surprise you, and is the metal stiff enough to not flex fully loaded? Press down on an open drawer as you slide it closed, and see if it binds or closes smoothly. Quality versus Junk should be almost self-evident, just like any other cabinetry or furniture you are buying.
-- aem sends...

Perhaps if you had also taken notice that for last several years, Sears has owned K-Mart....
John H. Holliday wrote:

I knew that, but I haven't been in a K-mart in years, mostly because I only know of one within convenient driving distance to me, and it's not all that convenient. That and Target kicks K-mart's ass, and Target is way closer (although it's in Seven Corners, so one *has* to drive there unless one has a death wish)
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
John H. Holliday wrote:

More like Kmart bought Sears, and then renamed themselves Sears. Sorta like SBC bought ATT, and renamed themselves ATT.
-- aem sends...

I think it is the other way around - Kmart bought Sears. Bob-tx
aemeijers wrote:

Despite all the rabid Craftsman bashing around here, the Craftsman hand tools do just fine. A good portion of my hand tools are Craftsman and they have held up just fine for a long time in my relatively heavy duty home shop environment (full machine shop really). I've not broken any Craftsman items other then chewing up phillips screwdriver tips and the occasional regular screwdriver when wrench assisted.
on 9/27/2009 10:19 AM (ET) Pete C. wrote the following:

Doesn't Craftsman have a lifetime guaranty on hand tools?.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
willshak wrote:

YEP.
On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 15:06:02 -0500, Steve Barker

My Craftsman wooden clamp broke. Actually the wooden handle came off the rod. I took it into Sears and they said "Those are not covered because that tool has moving parts." That was about 20 years ago and I have not purchased Craftsman tools since.
On 9/27/2009 7:15 PM Phisherman spake thus:

I know that's BS (what the clerk told you, not what you wrote) because I've brought in broken Craftsman crescent wrenches, which definitely have moving parts, and gotten them replaced.

AZ Nomad wrote:

OLD Craftsman stuff was excellent. I have some of my grandfather's tools and they don't feel like S-K, Proto, Snap-On, etc. but they are still perfectly serviceable. NEW Craftsman, the main reason to buy it instead of the cheapest stuff you can find is the lifetime warranty.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I did 30+ years as a line mechanic on craftsman tools. They are fine. I broke very few. I used snapon tools for the specialty tools, and had snap on boxes. Craftsman did not and does not make a box that will hold up to everyday 30 year use.
Steve Barker wrote:

Even the expensive roller bearing ones? I don't have one, mind you (my roll cabinets were all bought at garage sales, save for the one in the basement which is bottom of the line Crapsman bought on sale for about 50% off list) but I was curious. The price certainly approaches Snap-On...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Nate Nagel wrote:

I don't believe I've ever seen that line of Craftsman boxes.
Steve Barker wrote:

Yes, forget the tools for a moment and compare the tool boxes. If I was to rate a snap on box at 100% comparing a craftsman box to it the Craftsman would be rated about 30%. Yes there really is that much of a difference in the tool boxes.