Why are snap-on toolboxes so darn expensive?

Well, my first questions is summed up in the subject.

I'm seeing these things on craigslist selling for $3k - $12k.

Or see ebay item 160364031960 (sorry, this won't archive well). $4k - what the heck?

That said, a local seller is offering this one (18 drawers):

for $450. Should I jump on that if there is nothing wrong with it?

Thanks,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Call the cops and see if anyone is missing one, first. That is well below market price. Not slamming Snap-On, mind you- their stuff is built like a tank, and that matters if you are making a living with it. But, IMHO, you are paying something for the name and the mystique. As in 'he has a snap-on kit- he must be a real pro', etc.

I'll pay some extra for quality, but I won't pay 2x or 3x or more. Not being a wrench-turner in my day job, plain old Craftsman is 'good enough' for me. (actually, all my tool boxes at the moment are plastic, living in a damp world like I do...) Not that I have room or need for a roll-around anyway.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Hi, Because it's name and quality?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

My experience with craftman is that they are worse of a ripoff than any brand in existance. I've had more craftsman tools break than the cheapest crap I've bought at k-mart. For the price of a single craftsman socket, I can buy a whole set at k-mart and they won't crack or fly part under 50 ft-lbs like the craftsman sockets will.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

So I should go get it?

Reply to
Aaron Fude

Hi, Craftsman was good when it was made by Singer. FWIW, they still honor life time warranty after your knuckle get hurts, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes!!!!! I paid close to that just for the smaller top part. Ahhhh, maybe that is all he is selling for $450? The photo sure makes it look that way although I only count 12 drawers on the top box.

Reply to
Tony

Aaron Fude wrote in news:h9mkbr$dr$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

Because you can't go into every store and buy one. The makers of them want to rip you off with high prices.

Reply to
ktos

Some like to show off. They are called "Posers". They have the most expensive of everything they have. Big motors in their cars and boats, but don't race. They mostly have harleys with all the chrome goodies but can't ride for shit. They like to "look the part". Reminds me of women who have to have all the make-up because they have no natural beauty, or inner beauty or that matter.

It's not the quality of tools, it's how the mechanic uses it.

Hank

Reply to
Hustlin' Hank

Singer, the sewing machine company?

Reply to
norminn

I'll note in passing, that for the last several years, Kmart also sells Craftsman.

Yes, they aren't as good as they used to be, but the walk in and walk out replacement guarantee (which still applies to the non-powered tools) is worth something. You do need to buy them in sets, on sale, though. Their regular set prices, and their single-tool prices, are not good. There are other good 'house' brands out there, like the Kobalt line at Lowes (which I understand is made by one of the companies that make or used to make tools for Sears). Some of the Stanley-branded wrench sets also seem to be from the same OEM foundries.

But I still say that for the home DIY user, who can't chase all over town for prestige brands at industrial suppliers, or chase down a roving truck, Craftsman is still a good compromise solution, and the best way to start building up a tool library. Just watch the sale flyers, and when one of the larger sets is on sale for a price you can stand, go for it. 80-20 rule applies- 80% of your tasks will use the same 20% of the tools over and over again. If you do have an unusual project that calls for a special tool, that is when you start searching around.

Now as to the boxes themselves, which started this thread- sure, go look at the $400 Snap-on. See what shape it is in, and if all the parts are there, and if all the drawers work smoothly. Make sure all the pieces are in fact Snap-on. Lots of mechanics have mixed sets, since the sizes are pretty standard. For people who just need a small box for at home, use your eyes, hands, and common sense. Does it have sharp edges that will surprise you, and is the metal stiff enough to not flex fully loaded? Press down on an open drawer as you slide it closed, and see if it binds or closes smoothly. Quality versus Junk should be almost self-evident, just like any other cabinetry or furniture you are buying.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Perhaps if you had also taken notice that for last several years, Sears has owned K-Mart....

Reply to
John H. Holliday

Aaron Fude wrote: ...

HTH can we know?

Ya' gotta need for it?

Assuming it isn't as somebody noted "hot" and hasn't been abused, it would appear to be cheap. That would tend to make one (or at least me and one other poster, apparently) wonder about the "why" of the sale unless were estate or similar (although then would seem the logical thing would be auction)...

--

Reply to
dpb

OLD Craftsman stuff was excellent. I have some of my grandfather's tools and they don't feel like S-K, Proto, Snap-On, etc. but they are still perfectly serviceable. NEW Craftsman, the main reason to buy it instead of the cheapest stuff you can find is the lifetime warranty.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I did 30+ years as a line mechanic on craftsman tools. They are fine. I broke very few. I used snapon tools for the specialty tools, and had snap on boxes. Craftsman did not and does not make a box that will hold up to everyday 30 year use.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I knew that, but I haven't been in a K-mart in years, mostly because I only know of one within convenient driving distance to me, and it's not all that convenient. That and Target kicks K-mart's ass, and Target is way closer (although it's in Seven Corners, so one *has* to drive there unless one has a death wish)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

This is pure nonsense. Apparently you've been buying the Sears brand, not the Craftsman brand. I've done nearly all my own automobile service since I was 18 (I'm in my 50s now), including several engine and transmission rebuilds, and use almost nothing but Craftsman tools. In more than thirty years, I've had exactly three Craftsman sockets fail in use.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Even the expensive roller bearing ones? I don't have one, mind you (my roll cabinets were all bought at garage sales, save for the one in the basement which is bottom of the line Crapsman bought on sale for about

50% off list) but I was curious. The price certainly approaches Snap-On...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've found that the sockets to be mostly OK, only broken a few of them, but I don't like their newer ratchets very much, they seem to gunk up and stop ratcheting a lot sooner than the older ones did and they are more difficult to disassemble and clean. Also the Sears stores have stopped carrying the 1 cent rebuild kits in the stores so now you have to trade in your old ratchet for a rebuilt one, not so good when you have a nice 40 year old polished handle ratchet.

I also have twisted the handle off a brand new Torx screwdriver with only the torque I can apply with my bare hand while attempting to disassemble an old AFB...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

It was the craftsman brand. After 4 replacements of the same socket, all unable to handle 40 ft-lbs, I bought a whole set from kmart for the same price and they had no problem with the torque. This was pre-merer, around

1985. I don't know if craftman was better before that, I'm not sure where you'd find craftman from the 60's.
Reply to
AZ Nomad