Whole House Fan vs ?

Page 1 of 2
I'd love to get a reasonably priced and correctly installed whole house fan, but until then I am using two 18 or 20 inch floor fans rated at 265 watts. I use one from about 8pm until 6am and the second, if necessary, from 1am til 6am.
The problem is that I don't get the airflow I'd like. Fans are in an eastern facing window and western facing door. Open window in western facing bedroom and open door in eastern facing door way.
Temps range from mid 90's to low triple digits. Humidity is often quite low.
The benes from the whole house fan would include evacuating the hot air near the ceiling and not having to move fans around in the morning. Downside would be the cost of fan and installation.
So is it worth going to a whole house fan?

Depends on what you think it will accomplish. The fan, installed, will be a few hundred dollars. No matter how well it works, it is still sucking in the hot air from outside. If you don't mind the 100 degree heat, great deal and convenient. Otherwise, buy an air conditioner.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Get both. Run the AC when it is hot outside, and run the house fan at night to keep the house cool.
Jon
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

Depends. They can suck in nice cool night air but they can also be noisy. Very noisy.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

They are very noisy but I never found the sound to be objectionable. There was no problem sleeping, well, other than if it was running it was hot.
It really did help keep the house cool, too. I'd run it at night and button up the house during the day. In the hottest days (in lower NY) the house would stay comfortable well into the afternoon.
On Aug 28, 10:39pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-

I have enjoyed having one in the Chicago area. As others have said, it works well when the air cools off at night, and if you run it at night and then close the house in the morning it will stay comfortable until afternoon sometime. Saves on your AC bill. I installed it in the ceiling of the 2nd floor so it sucks air out of the house and blows it into the attic, which is vented, so it is clearing the hot air out of the attic too. To do that, your attic has to have a lot of venting, an area equal to the area of the fan. I had to install a bunch of eave vents to make that work. The louvers in the ceiling get dusty and have to be cleaned periodically. -- H

I should have been clearer. I do understand the benes of a whole house fan, what I want to know is there any clear advantage to spending the bucks to install a good one as opposed to using my two fans as I currently use them?

Convenience, more power, better options for window openings, noise is centralized.
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 15:52:12 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Certainly. If the attic is ventilated well enough, the whole-house fan will cool the attic in a small number of minutes.

but is this bene greater than that which I receive using the existing two floor fans?
On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 21:08:18 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

How are floor fans going to cool the attic? Yes, these fans will put your puny box fans to shame.

Wrong. That's one of the primary functions.

You can't have more than one primary function. The primary function of the whole house fan is to cool the house, anything else is incidental.
I've seen installations (on-line) where the fan is mounted on roof (no attic)
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 11:20:15 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

What about "that's one of the" didn't you understand?

Then there is no attic to cool, huh? <sheesh>

the part where you don't understand that "primary" means singular, not "one of"

so there could be no "one ofs" could there?
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 15:59:08 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Try kindergarten again. Your comprehension sucks.

Maybe you need to go back even further.

not at all.

don't try projection on me
On Tue, 30 Aug 2011 19:30:11 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"

Yes, *all*.

No, you really need remedial reading. Your comprehension sucks.

Both the top and the bottom of the insulation are hot, both need to be cooled.

Currently both fans blow out. I've had the fan that is in the living room moved to the kitchen blowing in. Subjectively that seemed to cool the house better except it didn't facilitate cooling my bedroom and I like to sleep in a cool room. I've tried having the kitchen fan blow out which helps with my bedroom woos but didn't help cool the house too much