white stuff stick to float switch of sump pump

I have a waste pump in a pit for the bathroom and sink in the basement. The pump is controlled by a float switch (the cylinder type that attaches to the pump). From time to time, there is this "white stuff" that sticks to the switch. As a result, the swith is too heavy and not float. I often need to break the white stuff apart.

Are there anything I can use to get rid of the white stuff or a different type of switch that is not affected by the stuff? Thank you.

Reply to
swing

Are you draining your washer into that sink. If so, the white stuff is possibly lint from the washer. I don't know of any washer made that doesn't catch the lint and then discharge it down the drain. If so, a filter in the sink, or on the end of the washer hose will help some but a fine material will still get to the sump pump and do what you describe.

Tom G

Reply to
Tom G

Is your water soft? I know I had a ring around the tub , Soap was hard to lather, and I would always see the clumps in the sump pump. I have a water softner for the last 10 years now, and that is all gone. Just gray water in the sump.

Reply to
Andy

The white stuff is not little or thin. It is thick, like inches. No washer attached but feeding it with bathroom (bathtub, toilet, sink) and kitchen sink (greasy stuff). The stuff also attaches itself to the pit wall and the pump as well. I have to use a stick to break it loose from the wall, the pump and worst the float switch. Could it be grease build up? or the "solid" transformed? Thanks for your help.

Reply to
swing

I don't know if the water soft or not. It is New York City water.

Reply to
swing

I'm sorry, I didn't pick up on the fact that you said "waste" pump rather than "sump" pump. Sounds like toilet paper residue, maybe. Is there possibly a different type of toilet paper that you need to use when feeding it into a "waste" pump rather than directly down the pipe into a septic or city sewer. Kind of sounds like you're dealing with "paper mache" in your sump.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

NYC water is not hard, and it's not as soft as what comes out of a water softener. It comes from huge reservoirs upstate, and is just right for most purposes.

Have they finished the third water tunnel yet? I think they have been working on it for 50 or more likely 70 years.

Reply to
mm

Does any one knows what those white stuff is? It is thick like plumbing putty and heavy. That is why the float switch does not float after the stuff "grows" on it. thank you.

Reply to
swing

Toilet paper?

Reply to
Tom G

I guess not.

Post a url where we can look at photos.

Reply to
mm

Try to grease the float after you clean it. Just wipe it with automotive grease. Might work, might not, but worth a try. If nothing else it should clean easier.

Reply to
businessman