White dust corrosion on steel?

Hi,
A few hours ago I posted a question about removing rust from a 1986 Craftsman table saw.
Well, I also got a band saw and a jointer... sorry.
The body of the band saw (I'm guessing it's made of steel, but maybe something else) is covered with a substance that has has the consistency of rust except it's completely white. It comes of completely with the help of a wire brush. What is this stuff?
Thanks again,
Aaron

Im trying to remember but I think they may have had some die cast parts. My father in law had a shop full of old Craftsman power toolsf. I got a couple of pieces but he sold his band saw and joiner.
Jimmie
Aaron Fude wrote:

Aluminum oxide?

That would be my first guess...
Larry The Snake Guy wrote:

Easy enough to shrink the corral. Will a magnet stick to it (the table top, not the white powder).

I agree. The reason aluminum is a decent outdoor material is that it quickly coats itself with a protective layer of aluminum oxide.
Aaron Fude wrote:

Zinc oxide, maybe, but I wouldn't expect zinc on a band saw except - maybe - on smallish, cheaply made, cast parts.
--

dadiOH
dadiOH wrote:

Galvanized?
Aaron Fude wrote:

The most obvious would be the thing is Al instead of steel...the second obvious question would be "is it (the body, not the corrosion product) magnetic?"