Which wire type?

Hi,

I can't find my "wiring simplified". I am planning on running a circuit outside in PVC conduit. I can't remember the specs for the wiring inside the conduit. 15A, 12 GA, but what wire?

Thanks

Reply to
jmgreen_

Better find that book. 12ga is normally used on 20A circuits....

Doug Miller

I'd prefer to use 12 GA for the distance/voltage drop thing. That in the book too.

Reply to
jmgreen_

This is Turtle.

If You like I can send you a wire type chart and conduit type chart for wire types if you like. Just send me a E-mail and I will return it that way.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

No problem going heavier on the wire, just not lighter! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Even without knowing the distance?!

Reply to
toller

Reply to
gfretwell

Total run, about 50 feet one way. I didn't realise I could burn my dirt by using 12 ga on a 15A circuit. I thought I was OK with bigger wire... What I was looking for was THHN or THWN.

Reply to
jmgreen_

Make sure it's the stranded wire. Solid wire is for penny pinching contractors.

Reply to
scott_z500

Or you could just look it up on the internet, like this:

Which will tell you, among other things, what the various letter-combinations mean, like: T Thermoplastic insulation H 75°C (Note: lack of "H" indicates 60°C) HH 90°C N Nylon jacket W Moisture resistant R Rubber insulation U Underground use USE Underground Service Entrance * UF Underground Feeder * SE Service Entrance *

-2 90°C and wet

Reply to
Goedjn