Basic footer question

Hi,

I hope this isn't too dumb, but...

I am planning a concrete pad for a BBQ adjacent to my existing patio. In the books I have read, most show the requirement of a footer under the pad's perimeter. The pad will be roughly 9 feet by 28 inches.

So, my question is, if the total weight of the installation is, say

1,500 pounds, and I live in an area that has clay soil and no freezing,

is it possible just to pour a thicker slab, say 8" with rebar and no footer, or is it necessary to dig down around the perimeter?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
jmgreen_

Patio slabs require no footer. Footers are only required when there will be a structure built over th slab and the footer is needed to transfer the weight of the structure t the surrounding soil. What you are producing is simply a 'sidewalk' that requires n reinforcing bar, no footer, and can be 4" thick

-- manhattan4

this thread:
post was submitted via http://www.HomeRepairForums.or

Reply to