Which Door is Better

A steel or a fiberglass door?

Thanks.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

For what purpose. Longevity? Keeping people out? Not needing maintenance?

Reply to
micky

They both have one minor problem. It is difficult to fasten anything to them. I just installed 2 doors, one steel and one fiberglass. The covering is too thin to put nails or screws in. there is a section around the outside where there is a wood frame, that can be used but it is fairly narrow most of the way. There is reinforcement where the locks and hinges are, but not in a good place for fastening things. One of the doors has a window and I fastened the curtain rod supports to the outside frame, but had a problem with something to be held in the middle. I finally used self stick velcro for that one. The metal door I hung something using strong magnets. I found some magnets with a

46 lb pull at Graingers for about $10 apiece. That works as long as the weight isn't too high. If the weight is very high they will slide.

Otherwise I don't think there is much difference between them.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

The fiberglass won't rust, the steel laughs at UV (won't rust either if you keep it properly painted).

You can attach stuff to either with pop rivets.

Reply to
dadiOH

The sun is on the outside. ;-)

Reply to
krw

What are you hanging on your doors that require such strong magnets?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Fiberglass - hands down. No dents, better insulation, many other reasons.

Reply to
clare

Would there be a problem attaching a brass door kick plate then?\

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

Thank you. I have tentatively ordered a fiberglass door today. The guys will be out to measure Weds., and to let me know if my Baldwin lockset will work with it.

Can a brass door kick plate be attached to a fiberglass door?

Reply to
Kate

Yes...rivets...mastic...

Reply to
dadiOH

Yes - no problem.

My preferred method is double sided tape to make it stay, and brass screws to fill the holes. The screws alone WILL do the job.

Reply to
clare

Kate, If you can find a plate that covers out to the frame around the door you can screw into that with no big problem.

2 or 3 small screws into the field shouldn't be a problem when the main edges are put into wood. Otherwise possibly a stick on kick plate.

DerbyDad How about a 10 pound (4.5 kg) framed poster. And on the front door I have 3 pound (1.5 kg) door harp.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Well, the old, but like new, kickplate is screwed onto my old door, so I am hoping it can be put onto the new door. Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

I have never had to use the double back tape, but then again, I have never taken it off one door and put onto another. I have some tape on hand in case the guys need it.

Then, again, I like your idea better. Just use the tape, and set the screws in the holes. Thanks.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kate

LOL I have a door harp inside, but it is attached with double backed tape.

I do have a brass kick plate installed on my steel door, and it has screws all around it. I have not had a problem with it, at all.

Reply to
Kate