Which Door is Better

A steel or a fiberglass door?
Thanks.
Kate

For what purpose. Longevity? Keeping people out? Not needing maintenance?
On 5/20/2012 1:53 AM, Kate wrote:

They both have one minor problem. It is difficult to fasten anything to them. I just installed 2 doors, one steel and one fiberglass. The covering is too thin to put nails or screws in. there is a section around the outside where there is a wood frame, that can be used but it is fairly narrow most of the way. There is reinforcement where the locks and hinges are, but not in a good place for fastening things. One of the doors has a window and I fastened the curtain rod supports to the outside frame, but had a problem with something to be held in the middle. I finally used self stick velcro for that one. The metal door I hung something using strong magnets. I found some magnets with a 46 lb pull at Graingers for about $10 apiece. That works as long as the weight isn't too high. If the weight is very high they will slide.
Otherwise I don't think there is much difference between them.
Bill

What are you hanging on your doors that require such strong magnets?
On 5/21/2012 11:15 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Would there be a problem attaching a brass door kick plate then?\
Thanks.
On 5/21/2012 9:52 PM, Kate wrote:

Kate, If you can find a plate that covers out to the frame around the door you can screw into that with no big problem. 2 or 3 small screws into the field shouldn't be a problem when the main edges are put into wood. Otherwise possibly a stick on kick plate.
DerbyDad How about a 10 pound (4.5 kg) framed poster. And on the front door I have 3 pound (1.5 kg) door harp.
Bill
On 5/22/2012 6:08 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

LOL I have a door harp inside, but it is attached with double backed tape.
I do have a brass kick plate installed on my steel door, and it has screws all around it. I have not had a problem with it, at all.
Kate wrote:

The fiberglass won't rust, the steel laughs at UV (won't rust either if you keep it properly painted).
You can attach stuff to either with pop rivets.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

The sun is on the outside. ;-)

Fiberglass - hands down. No dents, better insulation, many other reasons.
On 5/21/2012 6:10 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Thank you. I have tentatively ordered a fiberglass door today. The guys will be out to measure Weds., and to let me know if my Baldwin lockset will work with it.
Can a brass door kick plate be attached to a fiberglass door?
Kate wrote:

Yes...rivets...mastic...
--

dadiOH
On 5/22/2012 4:07 AM, dadiOH wrote:

Well, the old, but like new, kickplate is screwed onto my old door, so I am hoping it can be put onto the new door. Thanks.

Yes - no problem.
My preferred method is double sided tape to make it stay, and brass screws to fill the holes. The screws alone WILL do the job.
On 5/22/2012 4:43 AM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I have never had to use the double back tape, but then again, I have never taken it off one door and put onto another. I have some tape on hand in case the guys need it.
Then, again, I like your idea better. Just use the tape, and set the screws in the holes. Thanks.
Thanks.