OT gun silencers

OT Are gun silencers on pistols really as effective as they show in the movies? What about the breech? Does a lot of the noise come from there?

And what about the muzzle? Doesn't the bullet make a hole in whatever is in the silencer, so the noise can follow the bullet out the hole? After all, the walls on the barrel are pretty strong, so the noise without a silencer must come out the mouth of the barrel. Why not out the mouth of the silencer, at least after it's been used a couple times?

I've fired a pistol, without a silencer, and didn't or couldn't notice these things.

Reply to
micky

This is Marco. I'm a mafia boss. I offed lots of mobsters with silencers. Once you get a silencer, you'll never go back. You dont want Mezza morta, you want em whacked. You cant remove the sound when you do spring cleaning. The Code Of Silence is of utmost important in the family and Chiacchierones are offed. When the time comes for a facia bruta just grab your silencer and get the message job done.

Reply to
marco

I would appear not. Look at these tests:

....and here is a chart listing real world sound levels.

I can do a very loud fingers-under-tongue whistle that hurts most people's ears, they typically reacting by covering their ears with their hands, abeit too late. I've measured my whistle at 113 db. The above chart tends to indicate that most suppressors reduce a gun's report only to close-to-painful.

So, it would appear those movies where the silencer (suppressor is the PC term) merely goes "pffft" are nonsense. OTOH, these are jes commercial silencers, not very expensive ultra hi-tech military suppressors. Also, there is sub-sonic ammunition, which will go a long way toward reducing heard noise. I once watched a marine in full range competition regalia shoot a precision .22 target rifle (un-suppressed) using sub-sonic target ammo. It didn't make much more noise than those silenced firearms one sees in the movies.

BTW, if you see a suppressor on the end of a revolver, you know it's total bullshit. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Since you asked,

Fat-Dumb and Happy

Mostly right. Much of the noise in a shot is the crack from the bullet's sonic boom. Using sub-sonic ammunition eliminates that sound.

Suppression of the sound of the explosion that propels the bullet is the domain of the silencer. A suppressor is worthless on a revolver and the bolt will begin opening - allowing sound out - on an automatic before the rest of the sound can reach the suppressor. Where a suppressor is most effective is on a closed-bolt rifle.

My state, Texas, just allowed hunting with a suppressor, effective September

1st.

Whether you build your own suppressor (usually pretty easy) or buy a commercial one, the BATF requires a $200 tax for each one.

Reply to
HeyBub

The BEST you can do is use a revolver, fold a pillow over the gun, and fire at close range. Sound will be heard but not very far, plus NO flash..I know I tried EVERYTHING. - before internet avaiable research. The best small one I ever made was an empty paper towel roll cut to still longer than a toilet paper roll. Fill the tube with fluffly wads of facial tissue, overlap the barrel about 1 1/2 to 2 inches and use once.

I understand there is an 'Israeli' type you can make in the field for multiple use - Uses a series of washers in a tube to provide the baffling, built on the principle ofthe auto muffler

Reply to
Robert Macy

Harbor Freight often carries an inexpensive Sound Meter for $14.95 and it works as well as the 'scientific' versions costing $100's

A bit educational to use.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I'm not really sure what they were trying to accomplish with these tests. As someone else noted, you need sub-sonic ammo to get reasonable suppression and they used supersonic ammo in all these tests (most of the noise is from the bow wave of the bullet).

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Why do yo want one for hunting? So as not to scare away the target?

Why the $200 tax, other than they can get it?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It helps protect the shooters hearing. From what I understand in some countries other than the US, guns for hunting are under a bunch of restrictions, but they require supressors for hunting.

Yes, the $ 200 tax is they can get it and it keeps up with the paper work on who has them and other items such as machine guns.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Does it matter?

Same reason there is a (the same) tax on transferring automatic weapons. ...m0ostly because the gun grabbers couldn't make them illegal to own.

Reply to
krw

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

NOT just a $200 tax,but fingerprinting,background check,and written permission from a local law enforcement officer. Plus,your state has to allow them.

You CAN'T "build your own" suppressor legally,it requires a manufacturer's license from ATF.A good way to go to jail.

also,you have to pay the tax,etc,and get the ATF tax stamp BEFORE you can take possession of your suppressor.

the noise would scare other game. plus,it may disturb people residing nearby. In Germany,suppressors are REQUIRED for target shooting at the range. It saves -your- hearing,too.

1934 National Firearms Act; it put suppressors under the same laws as for machine guns. same for short-barreled rifles and shotguns.

A good read is Unintended Consequences by John Ross; it's a work of fiction but the author really did his resaearch on US firearms laws and how they came to be.You can learn a lot about US firearm laws and the "issues" from it.

the book also has an authentic copy of an ad for a 20mm Solothurn anti-tank rifle that could be bought by anyone for $200(including a case of 20mm anti-tank ammo),before the 1968 Gun Control Act was enacted. I've seen one at a gun show,and it's really impressive next to a Barrett .50 cal rifle. you can still own one today,IF you can find a NFA-registered one for sale,and complete the ATF tax and requirements,and can afford the high price. you'll have to load your own ammo,it's been banned from being imported.( the gun and ammo is dirt cheap overseas....)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Milk bottle caps in a 1.5" PVC pipe with a coil of window screen in the first 4" is supposed to work but trying it is illegal so I don't know, That is my story and I am sticking to it.

The rumor is a .22 sounds like a BB gun. That is th rumor anyway. The rumor is also that a BX connector will jam down on a .22 barrel fairly well and give you some 1/2" NPT threads that the PVC screws on.

I have no idea if any of this is true.

OTOH this is pretty quiet, even in a stock rifle.

gfretwell

That is left over from the firearms act of 1934. The same law that regulates sawed off shotguns, short barrelled rifles and machine guns. You need to fill out a BATF form 4, passport pictures, fingerprints etc, let the FBI and BATF look you over for about 14 weeks, pay the $200 (a princely sum in 1934) and if everything comes out OK your local chief LEO has to sign the application and you get the tax stamp. Then you can pick up your suppressor, machine gun or whatever. If not you are still out the $200.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yup. there was an amnesty in 1968 that allowed anyone to bring in dad's old WWII MP44 or "Pappa Sha" and get a stamp. There were a few real AK47s (not the semi auto chinese junk they sell today) and other things like that. Some of those are "BMW" expensive these days because they also froze the class III registry in 1986 and all the legal machine guns were cut off then. If it is in the civilian registry it is still transferable but nothing newer than that can be sold to a civilian. I think you can still buy a new manufacture suppressor if it is in the registry. The freeze was only on receivers (the "gun").

Reply to
gfretwell

Silencers are considered "Class III" devices which include other things like automatic weapons and short barrel shotguns. The tax is to discourage normal law abiding people from having such devices...

Reply to
George

Yep.

I watched a guy shooting sub-somic ammo at our range through a hvy brl target rifle. It was literally as quiet as those Hollywood suppressed movie pistols. It was hilarious to watch, cuz the guy walked up to his bench dressed like an active military shooting team member, OD fatigues, jarhead hat, heavy leather GI shooting jacket with slings and straps and all that Camp Perry crap, scopes, blackout glasses, honkin big prone position layout pad, etc. We all put down our rifles and watched this guy meticulously lay out his setup and don his gear getting prepared to shoot, thinking he was gonna whip out some big bore long arm and start banging away at 200 yrd targets. Nope! The rifle was impressive, prolly a Rem 40X, with iron target sights, etc, but only .22 rimfire. It merely went "poof", "poof". Cracked me up, but I'll never forget it. Compared to everyone else on the firing line, we could barely hear his gun's report. Would be perfect for hunting squurrels or rabbits under 50 yds. Be aware, I've heard some sub-sonic ammo will not cycle a semi-auto.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Shorts won't cycle most semis, so subsonic even more so.

.

Be aware, I've heard some sub-sonic ammo will not cycle a semi-auto.

nb

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just put a muffler from a diesel semi truck on the end of your pistol. You might need some bushings in between. Then attach it with a heavy duty muffler clamp. Use a chromed muffler to make it look supa-cool. After all, you want to impress the local gang bangers, when you kill the dude with the kilo of heroin.

Reply to
rapnigga

On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:25:09 -0700, "Steve B" wrote Re Re: OT gun silencers:

I think you are full of shit.

And now you live in a 25 year old single-wide.

Reply to
Vinny From NYC