OT gun silencers

According to their PR firm, anyway.

There is a Ma Fia's. We go there for Pizza on Friday nights. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I'd be surprised if shorts would do anything but jam the works, not so much because of the lower pressure but because they are *short*. They'll work in my S&W617, though. ;-)

Reply to
krw

I don't understand this. In a sonic boom, all the sound arrives at the same time, because the airplane, or the bullet makes some of its sound later than other sound, but the plane or bullet is so much closer to the listener that sound still arrives at the same time. And that's what makes the boom.

In a subsonic plane, the sound is made all the time, and it arrives at the listener over almost that same period of time. So you hear the plane coming for 30 seconds or more

With a bullet, the shooter is behind the bullet. The longer the time since the bullet was fired, the farther away from him the bullet is, so any sound made by the bullet itself would be made later and have to travel farther to reach the shooter.

But no one ever said that the bullet was making the sound. It 's the exploding gas that makes the sound. For the same weight of bullet, it must take more powder and a bigger explosion to get the bullet to travel faster, so the noise would be louder, but only in proportion to the speed the bullet is meant to travel. If the bullet travels 600mph (below the speed of sound) instead of 800mph (above it) the sound for the slower bullet should be about 6/8ths the sound for the faster bullet. (Or maybe the square of that 36/64ths, a little more than half) . But the speed of sound would not be a special delimiter. Any decrease in speed would accompany a decrease in sound.

And assuming the length of the bullet is the same, a supersonic .22 caliber bullet would make less sound than a subsonic .45.

Reply to
micky

How do you make one? Need access to a machine shop I'd imagine.

Reply to
G. Morgan

That is why that subsonic I linked above is good. It slings a 60 gr bullet so there is enough recoil to cycle a SA. It shoots fine in my Woodsman and my 10-22

Reply to
gfretwell

On Sun, 20 May 2012 15:56:26 -0700, "Steve B" wrote Re Re: OT gun silencers:

Very well Steve, thanks for asking. I cleared 1.1B$ on the FaceBook IPO last week. I had expected it to be more, but the IPO was kind of a flop; but hey, I'm not complaining.

Glad to read that you are doing well. You've come a long way since the days when you were drinking 65-cent Tbird from a brown paper bag. I'm gratified that you put those $1 bills I used to drop in your cup to good use and how you now know everything about anything. Keep up the good work. You are an amazing dude.

Take care

Vinny

Reply to
Vinny From NYC

I used to hang with some avid gun enthusiasts years ago and had the opportunity to fire both revolver (.357) and automatic (.22 long rifle) with silencers. Both of these guys have a pretty pronounced report. I don't think the silencer did much at all for the revolver and this is true from behind the gun or watching it being fired by someone else. The .22 was a different story. The normally loud report was softened significantly but it was still a loud "pop". I doubt if the sound has the long-distance carry of the open muzzle.

This might be why the Ruger '22 auto, or similar sized silencer equipped .22 is the weapon of choice for some professional hit men.

Not that I'm a pro. :o)

RonB

Reply to
RonB

You CAN build your own. One. More than one, you are a manufacturer.

Reply to
HeyBub

Up close and personal, a .357 will blow in one side of the head and out the other. A .22 will make a nice neat hole in one side and rattle around inside making pureed brain. A lot less mess and a sure kill.

Got your red pumps on again? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Not true at all. If you tape a 2 liter bottle on the muzzle of your gun with the "intent" of making it quieter you are in violation of NFA34 even if it actually made it louder.

10 years and a $10,000 fine.
Reply to
gfretwell

So by manufacturing ONE and taking it down for the stamp, have you already broken the law? Or can you buy a tax stamp on a non-existent suppressor, then make it?

How do you make it? Wouldn't one need to be a machinist?

Reply to
G. Morgan

You get the stamp first.

Nah, check the various plans on the web.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not if you get the stamp first. That is, one stamp allows you to make one silencer. To make more than one silencer, you need multiple stamps - or register as a manufacturer.

Reply to
HeyBub

If your trying to measure a gun, you need a special peak reading device, or an oscilloscope.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Where did you hear that? Your information is seriously flawed. You can't fill out the application until you have the serial number of the device.

Reply to
gfretwell

Actually I was wrong. You are right. I was thinking about machine guns. You can fill out a BATF form 1 and manufacture a suppressor as long as you pass the background check and pay the $200.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sigh.

See 27 CFR 479.62

--- begin quote

Title 27: Alcohol, Tobacco Products, and Firearms

CHAPTER II: BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO, FIREARMS, AND EXPLOSIVES, DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

SUBCHAPTER B: FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

PART 479: MACHINE GUNS, DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES, AND CERTAIN OTHER FIREARMS

Subpart E: Tax on Making Firearms

: Application to Make A Firearm

479.62 - Application to make.

No person shall make a firearm unless the person has filed with the Director a written application on Form 1 (Firearms), Application to Make and Register a Firearm, in duplicate, executed under the penalties of perjury, to make and register the firearm and has received the approval of the Director to make the firearm ... If the making is taxable, a remittance in the amount of $200 shall be submitted with the application in accordance with the instructions on the form. If the making is taxable and the application is approved, the Director will affix a National Firearms Act stamp to the original application in the space provided therefor and properly cancel the stamp... "

--- end quote

Note a "silencer" or "suppressor" is a "firearm" (as is a land mine or hand grenade) for purposes of this chapter.

Reply to
HeyBub

What sounds pretty darn quiet outside, in a suburban environment, will probably leave your ears ringing in a quiet hallway.

Reply to
croy

Both of you are posting from a public library. ;)

Reply to
gonjah

Is good. You won't hear the goblin screaming like a duck has hold of him.

Reply to
HeyBub