Which circuit?

Page 2 of 2

Likely wanted to use his skill-saw or trouble lamp and decided he was more important than anyone/anything else.
Lots of those BOZOs out there - and a lockout tag doesn't mean anything because they don't read anything without airbrushed glossy pictures.

Make sure your fire insurance is up to date first, because you can burn down your house that way. Google it if you doubt me.

As stated by RBM, the range light will most likely be on the same circuit as the kitchen lights.
The stove is on its own breaker, as will be the dryer, and other high-draw appliances. Since the stove is a 240V appliance, there may be two breakers linked together with a crossbar (I say "may" because I'm not an electrical expert, and I'm guessing that it's possible that some houses may have single-switched 240V breakers).
Here's a tip for a one-time reconciliation of lights & breakers throughout the house: 1) turn on all the lights in the entire house; 2) trip one of the single breakers; 3) walk around and see what turned off; 4) write down the relevant info next to that breaker. Repeat from #2 with the next breaker.
Use a desk-lamp, drill, night-light, or other small electrical device to check the outlets to see if they're on the same circuit as the lights.
Next time you need to shut off a specific circuit, you'll know exactly which breaker to trip.
--
Tegger

On 1/16/2012 6:04 PM, Tegger wrote:

A table radio tuned to a Hip Hop station and the audio wide open gives you an incentive to quickly find the breaker that turns it off. ^_^
TDD

Dat be dope, yo.
--
Tegger

I did not read yours first. Honest.
If you're deaf, use a 100 foot extension cord, and run a light to where the panel box is. I SAID!!!! IF YOU'RE DEAF!!! RUN A 100 FOOT EXTENSION CORD AND RUN A LIGHT TO WHERE THE PANEL BOX IS!!!!!
Well, it loses something along the way.
A table radio tuned to a Hip Hop station and the audio wide open gives you an incentive to quickly find the breaker that turns it off. ^_^
TDD
To check sockets, use a loud radio with music you hate. The breaker that turns the noise on and off.....
Here's a tip for a one-time reconciliation of lights & breakers throughout the house: 1) turn on all the lights in the entire house; 2) trip one of the single breakers; 3) walk around and see what turned off; 4) write down the relevant info next to that breaker. Repeat from #2 with the next breaker.
Use a desk-lamp, drill, night-light, or other small electrical device to check the outlets to see if they're on the same circuit as the lights.
Next time you need to shut off a specific circuit, you'll know exactly which breaker to trip.
--
Tegger

Yes. They're not connected, or when you pulled the stove out from the wal, to clean or replace itl, in addition to its cord, it would have other wires from the stove to the wall to power the range hood. None have that.
My range hood is supplied from the same breaker and junction box as my dining room chandelier. The dining room is on the other side of the wall from the stove.

What difference does it make?
Turn off the breakers until there's no power to the hood. Simple.

Whenever I want to locate a breaker I use a little circuit I made up to power a Sonalert. These things are loud and can be heard next door. One of the side effects of this the device is that the sound is so obnoxious it will motivate people in the house to help you when they otherwise would not. If the Sonalert isnt loud enough get a Klaxon horn. The neighbors will come over and help.
Jimmie
JIMMIE wrote:

Considerably quieter is the "Circuit Breaker Detective" ($20) here: http://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-breaker-detective-96934.html
Hey, my name isn't catchy like Godwin, but I'm going to make Young's Law Two. A home repair thread isn't complete, until someone posts a link to a Harbor Freight product.
I have spoken. Make it so.
Considerably quieter is the "Circuit Breaker Detective" ($20) here: http://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-breaker-detective-96934.html
If it's too loud, do what I do. turn off your hearing aids, and leave the Sonalert on for a while longer.