Where can someone buy Outdoor phone wire

Page 1 of 3
I'm on a farm, and have a landline in the house. I want to run a phone line to my workshop, which is around 270 feet. The phone company wants a fortune to run it underground. Rather than pay for this, which may not be real permanent anyhow, I decided to just run my own wire overhead. I can go from the house to a power pole, then to the peak of the garage, run it thru the inside of the garage where I can put a phone jack if desired, and finally from the rear peak of the garage to my workshop. All of this is short enough runs to go overhead without any problems, except over the driveway it needs to be high for farm machinery. The rest dont matter, and by the shed it will only be 8 feet off the ground.
However, I want to use that "official" thick coated black phone wire that the phone company uses. That thin indoor phone wire would probably not last long outdoors especially with winds whipping it around.
I cant find this stuff at any hardware stores or building supply places. Where can I buy this stuff? (I dont know if the phone company would sell it to me).....
I'm sure someone will tell me to just get a cellphone. I have one!!! I cant get decent service out here in this rural area. That's why I have a landline. I spend more time in my workshop than the house and get tired of having to walk to the house to check for messages on my answering machine.
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 04:30:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Might be easier to check out a cordless phone first. Some are supposed to have 300' range.

I have tried different phones at one time. They were close to the same range using different bands and different technology. Well over 300 feet, line of sight.
Many of these new phones look alike. My uniden suck, and go into some mode for 20 seconds, then come back. To get a solar supply would be doable. Metal shed would be a problem.
Greg
-snip-

you're a lucky dog. I've had 3 different systems over the last 10 years or so. The latest, and best, make it to my driveway- with static- The driveway is <100' from the base.

Maybe it is my aluminum siding? My foil insulation? Bad luck?
If I was the OP, I'd probably look into them--- but I wouldn't get my hopes up.
Jim
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 04:57:04 -0500, Vic Smith

I tried that. Metal sided buildings, and cordless phones dont work well. Besides I want to also be able to get online from my workshed. I use dialup (some rural areas still only have dialup internet, aside from the costly satellites). So the phone line is for both the phone and a place to hook my laptop in the workshed.

*This should work: http://www.telephonecentral.com/Products/Cable--2-Pair-Aerial__111140.aspx
On 8/28/2012 5:06 AM, John Grabowski wrote:

An overhead run needs to be strong enough for the tension. The wire above is only #22, but apparently has "cable armor". Some overhead wire has a strong "messenger wire" included. If you don't support it right at the ends of the span the wire may fail.
The link also refers to earthed entry protectors at both ends of the run. I would use them.
I agree with others that utilities may take a dim view of using the utility pole.
I like Vic's idea of a cordless phone.
--
bud--

And that "tension" may need to include the weight of ice if the OP lives in an area prone to freezing rain.

phone cables are not a good idea without lightning arresters at both ends - and I'd still prefer underground if at all possible.
Around here a lightning strike 5 miles away can take out an electric fence driver
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:46:42 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

I didn't mention the cordless phone without looking first. Mine works fine in the garage, but that's only about 60-80' Here's the farmer using one. The biggest problem with this is it's too easy, and it stops folks from talking about wires. And the OP might have line of sight issues. Pretty sure with Amazon you could send it back if it didn't do the job.
(Amazon.com product link shortened) /> "I live on a 50 acre farm. I have a non-farm technical job that requires me to be "on call". I don't have cell phone service at my farm so I have to rely upon a land line. I have tried many brands of phones over the years and but this system is the only one that gives me full coverage all over my farm. I have the base unit mounted in the house, a charger / repeater base mounted under the eve of one corner of the house and a second charger / repeater mounted under the eve of the opposite corner of the house. This gives me line of sight coverage, over my complete 50 acre hay farm. The greatest distance between the house and the far corners of my triangular shaped property is over 2000 feet. That is not a mistake - 2000 feet and I get great reception on the handsets. Keep in mind that this is a clear line of sight between the handheld phone and the eve mounted charger / repeater antennas. I have tried the same setup with other brands and NONE come close to the Uniden clarity or distance. I could, of course, have gone big dollar and got a phone system that would easily cover 2,000 + feet, but why do it when if you can accomplish the same thing for chump change. Pop (43 years of electronics experience)."

The home I lived in as a child until I was 20 had all above ground phone lines and the line to our house had close to 50 feet to the pole behind the neighbors house. It lasted all those years and was self supporting.

It's my own personal pole, not the electric company's pole. It only runs one outlet for livestock tank heater. I put the insulator for the phone wire 4 or 5 feet below the power line.

Tried that. They dont work well in metal sided buildings.

He said the metal shed is the problem with that. Lots of complaints with cordless and metal sheds. Might or might not be overcome, depending on the phone. Never dealt with it myself. I kinda like the idea of stringing the phone line through eyebolts screwed to the power pole, pulling it tight, tying it off, weatherproofing it where it enters a building, thinking about lightning protection, etc. But I don't have to make the idea work.
On 8/28/12 4:30 AM, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

Check with a center pivot dealer if you have one nearby. Some pivot companies use phone line for position sensing. They typically bury it if the well and control panel are located away from the pivot point.

some years ago radio shack sold outdoor phone wire.
a better option might be a cell phone repeater, a antenna goes on the outdoor building and a seperate antenna and box indoors. verizon sells one failrly cheap......
lots of people live in poor service areas or alunimum sided homes....
there are solutions for such situations:)

Bob, can anyone buy the Verizon one or do you have to be a Verizon customer? I'm thinking of one for the aluminum sided homes.
On Tue, 28 Aug 2012 04:30:18 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@thecave.com wrote:

I'd be real surprised if your local electrical supplies store doesn't carry 'drop wire'.

You might want to check with your power company to see if that is permitted. [even if it is your pole]

We used to bury drop wire with a straight claw hammer-- it doesn't need to be deep. Just sayin'.

I've got some on the north side of my house that looks fine after 20 years. Not recommending it-- just sayin', again.

Unlikely on the phone company--
This will do you-- but look around at what else they have-- the lower the gauge number, the heavier the wire and the less signal lost. http://www.newtechindustries.com/products/Aerial-Drop-Wire-Dumbbell-1-Pair-18%252d1%7B47%7D2-Gauge-1000-Foot-Popbox-ADP%252dD.html
Get some drop wire clamps and drive hooks, too http://www.newtechindustries.com/categories/Telecom/Outside-Plant/Drop-Hardware /
Use the clips to form drip loops on each outside hook-- look at a couple on various houses to see how they're done.

I'm in the burbs-- but under a hill. We have lousy cell service in the house. Those satellite TV folks have come out twice to tell me the only way I could get direct TV would be to build a 100' antenna.
Jim

I was thinking the same thing here .... if the pole belongs to the power company or telephone company, I bet they don't like you using their pole for your own line. Of course I can be wrong.
If it were me, I'd try the wireless phone setup first as others suggested. Worst comes to worst, if it doesn't work shortly thereafter, return it and start with the next idea.

Or you can order from Amazon: (Amazon.com product link shortened)46196736&sr=8-7&keywordsrial+phone+cable
(Note the description - not just the title: Designed for use as a duct, aerial, or direct burial cable.)
On 08/28/2012 05:30 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

I think with OP being on a farm, he'll need something a little deeper. My suggestion is to rent a trencher and lay down some PVC pipe down a foot or two under the surface. This will have the additional bonus of having the pipe down there if he wants to run some ethernet or other type of cabling in the future.
Jon
says...

You can run phone and ethernet on the same 4-conductor twisted pair cable.