Where can I find the information on step design?

Okay I will probably never have the money to build the house, but it is a fun hobby/ dream. I have lots of factors that I need to find, but at the moment I am hunting how to figure steps into a design. In my plan I have twenty feet to rise twelve feet. I believe twelve inch risers is a bit high and going to be rough on short folk. LOL... Any way where do I find proper step length and height?

Reply to
Vandy Terre

Been a loonngg time but IIRC the rule is 19". Combined step/height. I stil l have my old carpentry course manual somewhere. There is a 'sweet' spot t ht yields the best angle/step/riser ratio. Try any general carpentry book in the library or on-line. There is a lot of planning that has to be done to get a stairs 'right'.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

7 1/2" rise for an 11 1/2" tread is pretty much standard from what I've seen out in the world . That tread dimension includes an overhang in front , usually 1/2" .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

I remember it as about 25" for 2 risers and 1 tread. But I don't have to build steps entirely new very often. Also, while the formula is a good guideline, a 21" tread and 2" riser is not easy to climb.

Reply to
Mayayana

Americans can get this information either from city hall (the building code and permit office) or from the building research branch of the National Bureau of Standards.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Sort of cheating but Home Depot has precut stringers for porch steps. They're only for two or three steps but you just want the measurements. Or:

rbowman

It's about rise and run, and the norms for each, and how to calculate and mark them out. You can do the latter with a carpenter or framing square

Just Google --> build steps carpenter square

Reply to
TomR

Thank you!

Reply to
Vandy Terre

THX

Reply to
Vandy Terre

Building code and permit office here is little help unless you are building barns. All kinds of information on barns, not much on homes.

THX

Reply to
Vandy Terre

THX

Reply to
Vandy Terre

THX

Reply to
Vandy Terre

Lost me in the explanation. But THX for response.

Reply to
Vandy Terre