Where can I find the information on step design?

Okay I will probably never have the money to build the house, but it is a fun hobby/ dream. I have lots of factors that I need to find, but at the moment I am hunting how to figure steps into a design. In my plan I have twenty feet to rise twelve feet. I believe twelve inch risers is a bit high and going to be rough on short folk. LOL... Any way where do I find proper step length and height?
On Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:12:11 PM UTC-8, Vandy Terre wrote:

Been a loonngg time but IIRC the rule is 19". Combined step/height. I stil l have my old carpentry course manual somewhere. There is a 'sweet' spot t ht yields the best angle/step/riser ratio. Try any general carpentry book in the library or on-line. There is a lot of planning that has to be done to get a stairs 'right'.
Harry K
Harry K wrote:

7 1/2" rise for an 11 1/2" tread is pretty much standard from what I've seen out in the world . That tread dimension includes an overhang in front , usually 1/2" .
--
Snag

I remember it as about 25" for 2 risers and 1 tread. But I don't have to build steps entirely new very often. Also, while the formula is a good guideline, a 21" tread and 2" riser is not easy to climb.

Americans can get this information either from city hall (the building code and permit office) or from the building research branch of the National Bureau of Standards.
--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
Vandy Terre wrote:

Sort of cheating but Home Depot has precut stringers for porch steps. They're only for two or three steps but you just want the measurements. Or:
https://www.decks.com/calculators/stairs http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/how-to-plans/woodworking/4224738
In typed:

It's about rise and run, and the norms for each, and how to calculate and mark them out. You can do the latter with a carpenter or framing square
Just Google --> build steps carpenter square <-- with no quotation marks and read the results.
Look at the Google Images, read the articles, and watch some of the YouTube videos.
On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 13:40:30 -0800 (PST), Harry K

Thank you!
On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 16:57:16 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

THX
On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 18:19:28 -0500, "Don

Building code and permit office here is little help unless you are building barns. All kinds of information on barns, not much on homes.
THX
On Tue, 04 Nov 2014 19:01:37 -0700, rbowman

THX
On Wed, 5 Nov 2014 16:26:55 -0500, "TomR"

THX
On Tue, 4 Nov 2014 18:15:01 -0500, "Mayayana"

Lost me in the explanation. But THX for response.