Where might I find information on old Delta bandsaws

I have an old bandsaw I believe is a Delta 14". Wheel diameter is 13.5 though at the edge of the wheel. Anyone have a URL or two? I could post pictures to a web site if anyone would take the time.

The whole thing is I now have my fathers tools, which includes a 1948 Unisaw, the bandsaw and a work bench from J I Case agricultral R&D pattern shop with a lovely but extremely heavy pattern makers vice.

I like to refurbish old tools too. As far as woodworking, I am systematic in my approach (my technician background) not a novice but learning to be better.

Next year we are adding onto our house but first I get a workshop it will be an L on a 20' x 20' pad with a 5' x 14' covered porch (you need a porch that big if ya have a mexican sleeping hammock).

All my tools are on mobile bases in a one car garage with all the other stuff that goes in such a place. I think dust collection will be my first thought for the shop.

I am also "retired" but not old enough to get SS or pension yet, so I have a bit of time on my hands.

Any rambling thoughts will be processed for weight and considered thank you.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Obvious first place is

also try old woodworking machines
is a great site. Also a real cool shop apron for sale at that site.

Phil

Reply to
Phil

Markem wrote: snippage of low-key gloat

Try

and search before asking. They have paper on LOTS of old iron over there.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

My main problem in identify it is the only markings are LBS 26 on the upper armcasting , LBS 28 on the mid casting and LBS 6 on the lower casting which holds the oil and gearing, the covers were laid up out of fiber glass by my dad. The motor is in no way original. So here I sit wondering. The blade guard near the arm is made out of wood too. But I will search and check back in this thread.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

Not sure if "LBS" stood for "Little Band Saw" or "Light Band Saw", but that is indeed the Delta 14" saw. With gears and oil, it sounds as though it's a wood/metal version.

The wood blade guard was standard.

John Martin

Reply to
John

Thank you John

Reply to
Markem

Do you have a serial number. If you do, Delta, can usually get you parts list and a manual. May have parts in stock. Hurry, though, I fear that the the process of consolidation with Porter Cable and the subsequent sale to Black & Decker may be eroding the old Delta philosophy of stocking parts as long as they think the unit will last, which is generally a long, long, time. The LBS designation on the castings confirm it is Delta.

There are, I th>I have an old bandsaw I believe is a Delta 14". Wheel diameter is 13.5

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

I recently fixed up an old 1943 Delta wood/metal cutting band saw and it had LBS numbers on the castings. Check out

and find the manual for it and you can figure out any part numbers you need, or at least the official name of the part you need so you can find the modern equivlant. I had a broken upper blade guide and I noticed that it looked the same on the new saws, so I got on their site and got a parts list for a modern saw and figured out the new part number. I called and they were able to cross reference it to verify that the old casting number was indeed the same part as the new number.

When I called Delta trying to date the thing by it's serial number, they insisted it was a table saw made in the 60's. So I used the owwm site to date it correctly. Delta was great, though, when I went looking for a new part. They haven't changed the design of those saws much in the last 60 years, so you should still be able to get most parts when you need them.

As I understand it, they used to sell them without the motor, too, so there might be no "original" motor.

hth, Jon

Reply to
Jonathan