Lights

I bought some cold weather fluorescent lights today. They are half price at Canadian Tire. My question is....What is good distance for them to be apart from each other? I bought 3 units. My garage is 20 x 12.

Thanks, Frank.

Reply to
FJ Shepley & JM Pfohl

Well, my plan for lighting my 24x24 garage, I was going to put in 3 rows of

2 8' lights. One row down the middle, the other two 4' from the sides (leaving 8' between the middle one and each of the inside ones. I was going to start each of the rows 4' from the end walls.

Hope this helps. How much were they at CT? I bought my 8' HO cold weather ones at HD for about $50 each. They're 96W, instead of the usual 80 or less. Not sure how much of a difference that would make, but that was the only ones they had. They're not too bad for noise, but they do hum a little.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

Reply to
FJ Shepley & JM Pfohl

My shop is 12x16 and I also have the 4' fixtures, total of 6 for the shop. I ran 2 along the 12' end (other has double doors and no lights), end to end that are about 1' apart on that end only. They are spaced 2' out from the wall itself. On the 16' sides they are 18" apart and 2' out from the wall, plus I started them 2' away from the 12' door end. They are all on the same circuit but each bank of 2 has its own switch. Mine hang from short chains and screws along the ceiling joists so I can move them if need be, plus they are 'corded' so I put 4 duplex plugs up there for power. With the bright white paint on the walls they provide plenty of lighting for me to do woodworking and model building. I toyed with using 8 but settled on 6 and can add 2 more since they are 'portable' if the whim strikes.

Grandpa John

FJ Shepley & JM Pfohl wrote:

Reply to
John DeBoo

Use 1 Watt/Sq Ft as a design guide.

That will give you the total number of fixtures req'd.

The rest is a geometry problem.

I could repeat giving lighting design 101 again; but, 1 Watt/ft2 works.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

What are you doing in your garage? How many windows are in there? Do you work by day or night? What tools do you use? What task lighting do you have? What size fluors did you buy? 12"? 15"? 18"? 22"? 24"? 30"? 36"? 48"?

60"? 72"? 84"? Single, double, triple, quad, 6-lamp, 8-lamp, circline, U-lamp, with/without reflector/grating/guides, or WHAT?

Next time, clarify your question when you post, eh?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Might be the wrong question... In my first *real* shop, I mounted the flourescents in a row in the center of the building- and quickly found that every tool I worked at except the table saw had it's light blocked by the shadow of my body. Luckily, those shop fixtures are cheap, so now I just put them directly over each tool station. Works better than some arbitrary light placement, IMO.

Reply to
Prometheus