When a gallon is not a gallon

Page 6 of 7
DerbyDad03 wrote:
<<SNIP>>

Actually, funny you should mention it, they have. Many lumber mills and home centers are selling 8 foot 2x4's that are only 93" long, so that you won't have to cut them for your 8 foot wall. And although we call them 2x4's, they haven't been 2x4 for about 65 years. Now the ones in my house are 2" x 4", and it is a pain in the a** to do any remodeling. You either replace the whole wall, or you cut down 2x6's to match.
On 03/13/08 12:13 am Husky wrote:

I've certainly seen the 92 5/8" (I don't think they're even a full 93") studs, but I've never seen them labeled as 8' -- simply the length they are. The 96" ones are available too, but I don't see the store confusing them.
As for "2x4"s not being 2" x 4" ... AIUI, finished lumber was described by the pre-finished size, and everybody knew that -- and not just in USA. I don't see the justification for mislabeling unfinished lumber. I don't know what they do in other countries now.
Perce
wrote in message

re: Syms used that line.
Still does. http://www.syms.com /
re: While making packages smaller is perfectly legal, the purpose behind it is still to deceive the customer...
I guess companies that do that don't believe that "An educated consumer is our best customer". Pop Quiz II: Name 2 ways to keep from being deceived. Hint: Look between the quotes for one answer.
re: ...rather than raise prices.
But they did raise prices - they raised the unit prices - which is the only way to compare prices between otherwise similiar products.
===================
Back to the original subject: I was at Home Depot yesterday because the local hardware store was out of the fluorescent bulbs I needed. I took a look at the Behr paints. They're 126 oz. Not a pint short. I wonder which brand the OP was talking about.

I also wonder if the 3 7/8 gallons referred to somewhere above hasn't got a metric equivalent, such as 4 liters....well, it least in the fourth decimal.

The containers that are just a fraction short of a gallon tend to be tint bases or paint colors that can be used as a base. Tint bases come in different flavors depending on what the final color will be. The bases used for darker colors (ie that need more tint) tend to be well under a gallon, with the lighter tint bases being closer to a gallon.
cavedweller wrote: (Previously quoted material snipped)

4 liters is more than a gallon, not less.
On Mar 2, 6:19 pm, snipped-for-privacy@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

Of course. Silly me and my brain fart.

126 ounces is short of a gallon, though not by a pint.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote in part:

Ya think?

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Not always. WalMart rags on its suppliers to reduce package size, thereby reducing shipping and stocking costs. Walmart also complains about items that are double or triple wrapped when single wrapping would do.
For example, we've all seen boxes labeled "Box may not be full due to settling in shipment." Walmart, and others, say " 'Settle' the stuff before you package it and use a smaller box."
I've said it before and I'll repeat it here in case it was missed:
If you shop by unit pricing, it doesn't matter if the package is 28 oz or 32 oz. You're paying for what you're getting - no one cheated, no one lied. They simply raised the price by charging you the same amount for less product - but they clearly informed you of the price increase by posting the unit price on the shelf right next to the product.
******************** It is your attitude that allows the marketers to get away with sleaze. For decades, ice cream came in half gallons, sugar in five pound bags, coffee in one pound containers. Why, suddenly, do theyhave to be made smaller? Only to give the perception to the consumer that they are getting the same product at the same price.
If you think this is OK, it will not be long before new cars are delivered with three tires, flags with 47 stars, and coming next month, two leafed clovers. At least crayons still have the 7 primary colors.
wrote in message

10 out of 50 things on your grocery list go up by $1.00, and now maybe you're $10 over your budget. Some fat slobs will forgo vegetables and keep the ice cream in the shopping cart, but normal people will focus on the essentials.

re: Only to give the perception to the consumer that they are getting the same product at the same price.
Well, technically, they are getting the same product at the same price. They're just getting less of it. <g> And I pray for the consumer who is fooled (or even upset) by this gimic.
re: At least crayons still have the 7 primary colors
But how much more are you paying for them than you used to?
re: If you think this is OK...
... it will not be long before new cars are delivered with three tires,
Nope, gotta have 4 tires - but without raising the price they will give me a half-sized spare, barely room for 4 passengers, rotors that don't last 20K and tires that don't last 10. In other words, a lot less car for the same money. How is that different from less ice cream for the same money?
... flags with 47 stars
Which states do you suggest we eliminate? I've got a couple in mind.
... and coming next month, two leafed clovers.
I don't buy clover - it grows in my yard for free.
Fine, you are right. I give up. Let's get the masses together and refuse to buy Ice Cream until they put it back in 64 oz containers. Of course, we can't complain about the resulting 14.3% price increase, 'cuz it's one or the other. Pick your poison. I guess that'll show those sleazy marketers not to mess with us.
Fine, you are right. I give up. Let's get the masses together and refuse to buy Ice Cream until they put it back in 64 oz containers. Of course, we can't complain about the resulting 14.3% price increase, 'cuz it's one or the other. Pick your poison. I guess that'll show those sleazy marketers not to mess with us.
*******************
See, they beat you too. It would still be a 14.3% increase in the smaller package, just a smaller cash outlay at the time of purchase as they "hide" the increase. .

Was that a serious response? All you did was reword the exact point I was making.

Was that a serious response? All you did was reword the exact point I was making.
**************
Read what you wrote. " 'cuz it's one or the other."
Could be interpreted as the choice is a smaller package or a price increase.

re: Read what you wrote.
Understand what I wrote.
re: Could be interpreted as the choice is a smaller package or a price increase.
Sure, if you ignore the context of everything else we've said in this discussion.
You started this part of the discussion by saying that my attitude (shop by unit pricing and ignore the size of the package) was letting them get away with "sleaze". I gave in - I said don't buy ice cream until they go back to 64 oz. I also added that when it does, we would have no right to complain when the price jumped by 14.3% because when viewed from a unit price perspective it's the same thing.
"One or the other" is a choice between 56 oz for $5.49 or 64 oz $6.29. I'll let you do the math to determine the unit price. I believe you'll find very little difference, which is why I say "Who gives a crap what size package anything comes in?"

Or mini spares that are only good for 50mph and a couple thousand miles tread wear. Oh wait, they already do...

Fortunately, flat tires are so damn rare, that spending another $200 for a real spare tire and rim is a complete waste of money.
The days of having 2 flat tires and a blowout on a 2500 mile road trip are gone.