Whats this type of foundation called ?

The structure is a two story apartment. its raised floor so I don't think its on footers, would it be called a pier ?

Also what would you call it when it fails or sinks ?

Reply to
Sonbo

The advantage of Piers over a footers is with footers you need more square Feetage of concrete. When it fails it is called expensive

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

????? We can't see it from here. Anything built in last 70 years probably has a foundation of some sort, even if it is only the footings for the piers holding up the structure. I haven't seen any 'sleeper' foundations newer than 1920 or so. Pier-type construction was pretty common down south in old days due to termites and high water table. If structure is over a crawlspace, and has grates around the outside, that is usually pier construction. If the bottom edge of the outside is concrete, stone, or brick, it is a conventional foundation, but could be a dressed-up pier system. Only way to tell is crawl under there with a light. What do you call it when it fails or sinks? Lots of nasty words, usually. But unless it is a sinkole, pier foundations are usually repairable, assuming the floor system above is solid. Just a matter of temporary jacks and timbers, digging a hole, pouring a proper footing, and building back a new pier at the correct height. Nasty miserable work if the crawlspace is shallow, since it is usually all hand work. Look for 'foundation repair' in the yellow pages- there are companies that specialize in this, and have all the proper tools and experience. Estimates are often free.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers