What would you do?

Page 2 of 4

That reminds me of a Two and a Half Men episode(CBS) where Charlie says the phrase "I understand." in a sincere voice to everybody's complaints,and totally ignores what the people are saying.It pacifies them,they think they have solved their problem,and they don't realize Charlie is just ignoring them.(even after he explains it to his brother Allen)
It may be the best way for dealing with some people! ;-)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Or, instead of "I understand", how about "I feel your pain" ?
--
Regards,

Buy a Harley and put straight pipes on it.
Based on your description of his consideration for others around him, f* him.

Ignore him, don't talk about him, say "OK" to him, but don't agitate him either. Try to remember to turn off (or down) your car radio before approaching the house at 3 AM.

Hmmm, I was thinking more along the lines of 500W amp and Hendrix's Star Spangled Banner.

You have a few options. Change jobs to one with hours that coincide with his sleep time Buy a new car Leave the car in the driveway Offer to soundproof his bedroom windows
My favorite is: Smile, thank him for letting you know of the problem, and then ignore the SOB.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote in message ...

LOL, best answer so far.
Cheri

Build a HIGH solid-wall fence between his house and yours. to "block the noise"... Maybe plant a nice tall hedge,too,if HOA bylaws permit it.

That's about all "Major D" can realistically do about it. The complainer has to solve his sensitivity problem himself.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jeez, 11 replies and no one seems to realize you live next door to mm.
Come on guys, just a week or 2 ago, stack of lawnmowers, wood on the ground...
Doesn't that ring a bell?

Certainly did. I saw it as soon as I read it. Didn't seem to be germane though.
Harry K
On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 02:31:21 GMT, Dan Espen

It CERTAINLY did. I thought the same thing. The combination of material and "complaints".
But I hear bells on TV and think somebody is at the door:)

Go about your business as usual.
Unless you live in California, or some other state with highly restrictive gun laws, if he comes over again at 3 AM, draw a weapon and tell him that if he EVER comes over again, you will shoot him, kick his sorry ass, pepper spray him, or all three. And mean it. Immediately call the police and inform them what happened so that they will not get a call from him shrieking and screaming. When they come to respond, leave the weapon inside, and calmly explain what happened. It's even better if he knocks on the door, and the exchange of words happens while you're standing totally inside your house. They will explain to the idiot that you DO AND DID have the right to shoot holes in his sorry ass.
If he's on your property, you got him. Just be sure to tell the policeperson that he has made threats before and you were in fear of your life. In some states, you can just shoot him.
All a little serious? No. You want to take care of the problem or dance around it? The police can't/won't do anything. The justice system can't/won't do anything about it.
Handle it like a man. You're minding your own business on your own property at three AM and this wack job comes over. That's enough right there.
I live in rural Utah, previously, Nevada. Concealed weapon laws and "castle laws" are pretty lenient here when it comes to defending your home and family from people roaming around YOUR property at 3 AM.
Steve

STUPID advice that will get YOU arrested for brandishing at the least. Without a credible lethal threat,you cannot "draw your gun" and threaten the complainer. That makes YOU the criminal.

Ah,now you suggest LYING to the police. Making a false claim to a LEO is a felony. And the OP did not mention the complainer making any previous threats.

There's no law against going over to a noisy neighbor at 3AM to complain about the noise. And it's NOT any legitimate threat by itself.
Take SteveB's advice and you can get put in jail,and lose your gun rights.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:42:28 -0800, SteveB wrote:

This does not pass the "what would a reasonable person do in this situation?" test the legal world likes to use. A reasonable person would not use deadly force on a neighbor just for standing on his property to speak to him. Remember, this is a neighbor and not some stranger trying to break into your home.
--
"Technology is dominated by two types of people:
Those who understand what they do not manage.

My study; was what, would a "reasonable and prudent" man do?
.....prudent \\PROO-dunt\\ adjective 1 : marked by wisdom or judiciousness 2 : shrewd in the management of practical affairs 3 : cautious, discreet 4 : thrifty, frugal
On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 21:42:28 -0800, "SteveB"

The OP did not indicate the complaint was at 3AM on his property; unless I missed it.
Read about Confrontational Avoidance.
When the threat escalates, so does the amount of force.
No threat - no force!

Whether or not the person came on my property, I'd tell them to buzz off. If they ever were stupid enough to come on my property and complain, I'd handle it. It's that simple. Some situations are best handled by force, confrontation and violence.
Steve

Yes, that's what some fools believe. Somebody insulted their girlfriend, so to prove what a man they are, they go find the guy, hit him and the one blow managed to kill him or leave him brain injured. Or they bring a gun, go challenge the guy and wind up using it. Most of these idiots wind up serving time.
Thankfully, there is no state in the USA where you can shoot a neighbor for simply walking over to your property or knocking on the door. The TX stature doesn't even come close to saying any such action is warranted.
What kind of person are you and what kind of moral values can you have that you think it's justified taking someone's life for simply coming onto your property? At most, this is a tresspass case.

What I read:

In my language, that would mean they came to my house.
Steve