What would be a decent set of 'loaner-tools'?

"badgolferman" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.readfreenews.net:

Some people NEVER get the message,or deliberately ignore it.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Well the Good Samaritan laws are designed to cover people with training, but that doesn't mean that the people without training are in more trouble.

Rather, it was the other way around. If you dind't know anything or all you knew about cpr was from a half page flier, you were judged as someone who doesn't know anything, and even if you did things badly, you weren't liable (unless you were trying to hurt someone.)

Doctors otoh had I think in a few cases been held to the standard of doctors. They had to do things right, to the same standard they would be required to use in a hospital (minus the equipment). They were the ones who were afraid to help, because some (and I'm sure in cases where there was a bad result, like the patient died) doctors were successfully sued, and other doctors were afraid of that . The ones sued had been doing their best probably, but a jury thought somehow that wasn't good enough. Or they weren't doing their best, but doctors who read the paper were sure they had been.

But if the average Joe tries to help someone, he is and was judged according to hisown level of competence. Was he negligent even compared to what HE could have done. For example, did he run up to help the guy, and everyone thought he was helping and left, and then he decided, No I don't have time after all and he left the guy alone.. I'm not sure now, but I think a laymen who didn't even act like a layman might be liable, if there were other people there who might have done a better job, and somehow he got them to rely on HIM.

And I think a doctor would be liable under such an extreme scenario too. Apparently there were many good-hearted (normal) doctors who really wanted to help before and were for good reason afraid of multi-million dollar suits if they didn't get it right.

Darn right.

Of course on tv, they rarely check if the person needs cpr to begin with. One is supposed to check for faint breathing, and for a faint pulse before trying to supplement those things. OTOH, I've never been able to find my pulse.

mm

I think you're on the right track, unlike most here.

Buy Craftsman. Cheap enough, and when an honest neighbor loses a tool, he / she will know where to get the replacement.

Reply to
Robert Barr

I also lived in a neighborhood that was, er, neighborly. Still do. I have a different take on it. If someone can't take care of your tools, why would you believe that they'd be any better with your dog, house, papers...? If someone isn't trustworthy with small responsibilities, why graduate them to more important tasks? How's that go? Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

RicodJour

Sign in my shop says, "Sure we loan tools. You just have go get them from the last SOB who borrowed them".

Reply to
Andy Asberry

May I suggest a different approach?

"You did not bring back the first tool I loaned you. As such, I will not loan you any other tools."

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Be their handyman at $25 an hour, including your tools which you bring home at the end of the day.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My guess would be someone who has not already offered to buy a replacement, automatically would fit into the "never get the message" category.

Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+

Gary Dyrkacz

Gary Dyrkacz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

also,the "no more borrowing" category,AFAI'm concerned.

A guy I worked with,I knew he was a tool abuser,and he wanted to borrow my personal set of small taps and dies.I showed him where the shop set was,and a few minutes later,he had broken off the tap in the workpiece.So,he puts the broken piece back in the case,and does not bother to tell the shipping clerk (with the company credit card) to buy a replacement.The next time,there was no tap for him to use,and he comes back to me. I told him he should have bought a new one when he broke the last one,and asked him why he put the BROKEN piece back in the box. (I kept some of my own tools because of this guy and another who didn't put them back where they belonged,and/or abused them to the point of uselessness.Of course,they had a "problem" with that,I wasn't a "team player",etc.The usual whiny PC BS.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik