What would be a decent set of 'loaner-tools'?

Page 3 of 3

How about taking it out of his daughter's ass? ;)
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Clipboard with wildly inflated retail price. Sign here, due in 30 days.

If you're lending it they're on their own. You've no liability. But add a disclaimer to the clipboard mentioned above.

Best to leave them as cheap as possible. Encourage them to get their own when they end up breaking yours and paying an arm and a leg to replace it.
I'm all for being neighborly. I've loaned a few of my more unusual tools out, pick axe, soil tamper, sawzall, etc. The sort of thing that's not expected to be in a 'normal' set of tools. But when it comes to regular tools like pliers, cutters, wrenches or a 3/8" drive socket set I never, ever loan them out. I have no desire to go hunting them down to return it when I need it. Nor do I have any interest in discovering what half-ass thing they've done with the tool and ruined it in the process. To say nothing of not even cleaning it before returning it.
Keep a MAC or Snap-On catalog handy. Let 'em see what a set of 'em lists retail. That's a subtle, but direct, hint that they're not getting loaned out. It always helps to know if the local Sears is having a sale on craftsman sets. Point them in that direction.

Bad idea. Clipboard with inflated 'deposit', make security deposit and borrow tool, return tool and get deposit back. You will nev er get your money if you don't already have it when they 'lose' tool. They will lose much fewer if they deposited a security first.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
"If you're lending it they're on their own. You've no liability. But add a disclaimer to the clipboard mentioned above. "
I wouldn't be too sure about that. I don;t know of any specific law here in NJ that limits your liability because you just lent someone a tool. Say I lent a stepladder to someone, it's a little wobbly, and they fall off it. I don't believe there is anything to prevent them from suing me, claiming I knew the ladder was defective, etc.
Granted, this isn't a big issue with a wrench, but if you start lending out circular saws and think you can't be sued, I think you are making a big mistake.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

borrow hell
maybe you can sell them a nice set turn it into a business
the snap on man
" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

If they already aren't bringing back the ones that you personally hand to them, what do you think will happen when you make it self service? Instead of taking one thing, now they will feel free to take 6 cause they might need them too.
I would have tried to make it less obvious that I have tools, by not having them so visible to begin with. The answer to your problem is already in place. When the guy that borrowed the 8MM comes back for a new request, just butch up and say "Sorry, but I've been losing too many tools lending them out and not having people return them, so I'm not able to do it anymore." If you want, you can continue to lend a tool or two to those that do bring them back. First time they don't return it, cut them off.
Then you'll find out what kind of folks you're dealing with. If the 8mm guys is decent, you should have a new 8mm wrench within a few days. My guess is you won't. And you're kidding yourself if you think there is value in maintaining relationships with users like this. When you need something, they won't be there for you, cause they don't give a damn.

I've got a lot of tools too. I only lend stuff to a very few trusted, competent people. Most of the time it is an odd item that I bought to do a specific job and rarely if ever use now.
If it is a request for a "common" tool, my attitude is you should really get your own. I am not here to subsidize you.
If it is a tool with moving parts, then it is not available for loan. If it is an emergency, I will come and help with chainsaw, propane torch etc.
The last thing I lent was an extension ladder. It came back broken and the guy had fallen off. Lucky he wasn't hurt. Now he has his own ladder and I have directions to Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, Wal-Mart, Kmart and Target, as well as NAPA, Autozone and ... well you get the idea.
Charlie
On 19 Dec 2005 15:06:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Sign in my shop says, "Sure we loan tools. You just have go get them from the last SOB who borrowed them".
May I suggest a different approach?
"You did not bring back the first tool I loaned you. As such, I will not loan you any other tools."
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.