What will quickly remove Plasti-Dip?

I've got a dishwasher rack that was covered with Plasti-Dip in a misbegotten experiment to provide extra protection against corrosion. I've been using citrus based paint remover and Scotch Brite pads to remove it, which works after a fashion but is tedious and slow going. Will anything remove it rapidly without damaging the factory coating on the rack, which I assume to be some sort of epoxy?

I'm talking about this stuff

While I'm on the subject, is there anything you can think of in the consumer market that could be applied to a dishwasher rack that will hold up in that environment?

Thanks for all info

Reply to
Doc

Read the MSDS on the manufacturer's web site. The nasty chemicals are the solvents. There will most likely be a number of them. I don't know what coating is on a dishwasher rack, but those nasty chemicals will probably damage it. Sorry.

RicodJour

not the answer you're looking for but.....

instead of buying a new dishwasher rack or re-coating the old one, I was lucky to find a newer model of my machine that was being junked and I took the racks

craigslist

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

A resin or worse a cured resin takes time for solvents to dissolve or penetrate. A paint remover that does not immediately evaprate should work best but might attack the epoxy coating.

I would try regular naptha paint thinner first as this is primary solvent mentioned in the MSDS. More agressive might be nail polish remover or acetone and finally the stuff that contains methylene chloride which is gel like and does not readily evaporate.

All this should be done outside with lots of ventilation.

Reply to
Frank

on 6/4/2009 1:30 AM (ET) Doc wrote the following:

I don't know about removing the plastigrip, but there is a product made especially for those racks. Check with an appliance store. Here is one product that will repair the most vulnerable parts, the ends of the wire. I didn't check if there are other colors.

willshak

Hello Doc,

The site you mentioned has a product called ReRACK that appears to be specifically for dishwasher racks.

I think Plasti-Dip is a PVC plastisol. You might try a can of the solvent sold for PVC cement (plastic pipe cement).

Best -- Terry

Reply to
Terry