Floor dip

My daughter wants to have laminate flooring put down on the second floor. Lowes people are refusing to do it, want to put in carpet, because there is a dip in the floor near the utility room. Is there a way to fix this so that we can use laminate?

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

How big a dip and what is the floor material?

Reply to
dadiOH

What is the substrate.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Don't know for sure. Probably just plywood or whatever they normally use. There are no problems with the rest of the area.

Reply to
Kurt V. Ullman

Assuming it is ply, maybe self leveling cement, unless the dip is huge.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Seems like there is too little information here to know how to resolve the issue.

I think it depends on what the "dip" is, what is causing the dip, where it is located, etc., etc.

If you have access from underneath (such as an open joist ceiling, you may be able to figure out what is going on. But, that is unlikely since you said this is a second floor (and probably isn't above an unfinished basement etc).

And, depending on what the subfloor is, and which way the joists under the floor run, and where the "dip" is located, it may be possible to remove the subfloor (plywood?) in that area -- then sister some of the joist to create a level plane in that area; then replace the subfloor; then put the new laminate on the new level subfloor.

Some photos of the "dip" area may help.

Reply to
TomR

Did the installers give details? Probably not since you would have mentioned them. Can you ask for the details as to why they wouldn't install? Does a level on a straight board show you how much the dip is?

Reply to
Charles Bishop