What to do with dog waste?

Page 2 of 2
If you are going to be carrying this crap around in walmart bags or other receptacles, why not just flush it down the toilet???? They can't really tell the species it came from by the time it gets to the waste treatment plant.

I have a Doggy-Doo digester which consists of a green plastic garbage bin-like container about 18 inches in diameter with a cover and in the middle of the cover a hole about 6 inches round with a hinged lid. Inside there is an overflow pipe on one side which is open at the bottom and comes to about 3 inches from the top where it's also open. The whole thing is sunk up to the level of the cover in a pit about 3 feet deep. The cover and the lidded hole are above ground. You pick up the poop using whatever you like (I use a two handled pooper-scooper), open the lid and dump it in the Doggy Doo. About every week in warm weather you add a biological agent (available in pet stores--cheap) and water which causes the poop to froth up and form bubbles--I presume there some sort of bacteria eating the stuff. From time to time (I do it about twice a year) you deliberately overfill the container so the stuff at the top will go down the overflow pipe into the pit below.
The manufacturer says that it won't work below freezing but I generally ignore this and, provided it's not covered by snow, I just continue to fill it year round. It seems to work OK and doesn't smell unless you leave the lid open when it smells like they're working on the sewer line in the street.
In my view it's a lot more convenient than either the toilet or the garbage both of which would require me to track through the house. You just walk around collecting the poop and end up at the Doggy Doo where you open the hinged lid with your foot and dump it in. The pooper-scooper leans against the fence beside the Doggy Doo.
BTW, IIRC correctly it comes in various sizes. You may need a bigger one that the dimensions I gave above.
-- Patrick Riley
When i pick it up in the yard i throw it in the street sewer.
Tom

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) on 26 Aug 2003 had this to say wrote:

the oven. They really keep my pockets warm!
When I get home, I put them in my kids' lunch for a special treat. Mmmm mmmm, good! If my kids have already gone off to school, I throw it over the neighbor's fence.
It works for me.
DB Cooper