What snowblower will REALLY handle wet snow?

I have had nothing but trouble with my 8hp Toro when dealing with wet snow/slush. The belt is kept tight and I spray the augers & shute with silicone to no avail. I'm ready (if not willing) to shell out some big bucks for something like a Honda. Here in Connecticut we could be dealing with over a foot, not to mention the piles that the speeding snowplows load onto the end of the driveway and the sidewalks.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions. (yeah, I know ... "move to Florida!")

Reply to
scott

I tell ya, nothing beats a dual stage thrower. Mine will cut through anything that mother nature can toss at Northern Indiana.

I got mine pretty cheap. Start looking for bargain second handers now. I got mine free from a neighbor that was frustrated that it wouldn't start after leaving gas in it all summer. Rebuilt the carb ($9) and is started on the first pull. I've used it for the last 5 years.

Reply to
Yargnits

I tell ya, nothing beats a dual stage thrower. Mine will cut through anything that mother nature can toss at Northern Indiana.

I got mine pretty cheap. Start looking for bargain second handers now. I got mine free from a neighbor that was frustrated that it wouldn't start after leaving gas in it all summer. Rebuilt the carb ($9) and is started on the first pull. I've used it for the last 5 years.

Reply to
Yargnits

Don't be such a pussy, and use a shovel.

Reply to
Dan C

Hi Scott,

We have a Sears model we bought 2 years ago for $750 and it handles all snow including heavy, wet snow well up here in Maine.

Cin

Reply to
Cindy

In alt.home.repair on Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:39:15 -0500 Dan C posted:

Spray it with Pam. or Shirley.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

I have Toro electric (mid size) single stage and it seems to do OK. If it gets really sloppy, I pull out the shove. Most of my snow is dry.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Cindy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Been using Ariens for years. It's great. I had the driveway enlarged so it's too big for a snow blower. I plow with my truck now. But still need the thrower for the sidewalk and near the doorway. I live along a Great Lake so I know what really heavy snow it like since most of our snow is the heavy type. We can have just one inch and it's too heavy to shovel. It frequently snows every day for long spells. To me, CT is tropical. LOL .

Reply to
carrottop

Never had a problem with my Toro (8hp - dual stage - power driven) But I do use the drive speed control setting differently in different conditions.

Sometimes bull slow is best and other times running after it gets the best results

We get road plows that can pile snow up three ft or more, and the toro bores right through. in the deepest parts all you see is the top of the handle and a stream of snow flying up. But I generally get snow out long before it goes to slush.

I have a neighbor who paid over twice as much for a honda and even he admits my toro will keep up with his

only benefit of the honda is the TRACKS on the honda, rather than TIRES on the Toro. if you have stairs or real hills to negotiate. The downside of tracks is they tend to float over drifts, rather than digging through

But as you specifically mention slush and wet snow. are you talking the salt laden stuff that sticks to your car ?

The best for that is the "blowers/throwers" with the rubber paddles/blades.

It depends on what you usually have to move as to what blower is best

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

Don't you have anything better to do with your time than to make a complete fool of yourself on the internet?

Reply to
scott

Don't you ever wish you had a little common sense, and were able to figure something out for yourself..., rather than ask dumb questions on the internet?

I mean really.... If your f****ng snowblower can't handle the heavy wet snow, then you need a bigger/stronger snowblower. Isn't that f****ng obvious? Why ask such a stupid question here?

Reply to
Dan C