What length screw to use?

Page 2 of 2

Yes, in addition, the screw is now in shear rather then bending in the 1mm between the board and the wall. Sheetrock kinda messes this up, but...
On 6/8/2010 8:31 AM John spake thus:

Right concept, but the correct term is "clearance hole" for the screw, or counterboring it into the piece being held.

I'd use them. I'd also put a dab of construction adhesive in four or five spots too on the ones hanging the shelves. .
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have not been paying attention- these are horizontal 2x4s, right? To act as a ledger for the shelves? Or vertical 2x4s to hold brackets? On a horizontal 2x4, you may wanna go with a wider board, to reduce the lever action that will dig into the drywall. Back in the stone age, for closets and utility rooms and such, I always had good luck with a pretty 1x8 band screwed into the studs, and metal brackets screwed into that wherever needed. Held a 12" shelf, supported by the brackets and the top edge of the 1x8, heavily loaded, with no problem.
--
aem sends....

For closets, just run boards around the three sides and put a shelf on top. I despise those metal brackets.

Let's do the math. 2 x 4's are actually 1 1/2" thick some 1 5/8". Drywall 1/2", less an eighth or so for recess. That gives you about an inch of penetration into the stud that will hold it all. I'd use them.
Steve