what kind of oil to use...

I've inherited a rather old Snapper riding mower with a B&S 4hp engine. I don't have an owner's manual for it, and I need to know what sort of oil to put into it. Should I use the same oil that I'd put in my regular push mower, 30 sae straight-grade viscocity oil?

TIA, Brigitte

Reply to
Brigitte

Go to "contact us" and ask them.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

right..use 30w detergent (HD) oil. lucas the mower man.

ds549

If it still has good oil-control (doesn't leak or burn much), I'd go for one of the higher-vi synthetics. Makes for a "happy" engine, IMHO.

barry

I think Briggs reccomends a good brand of 10W30. Penzoil and Castrol are good.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Every mower I've had recommended straight 30 wt.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I will double on that. I switched to 5W30 Mobil 1 on all my air cooled engines. It can stand heat a lot better than conventional oils. Don't worry about the 5 rating. That is only when very cold. When warm it still has 30 weight viscosity and is a bit easier to start.

I have a 45 year old B&S engine that runs like new using it.

Reply to
Rich256

Not any more. They all say multi-weight is also good except that since air cooled engines run hotter than others the oil level should be checked more often. The solution for that is to use synthetic which will stand up even better than straight weight. Synthetic is really considered to be like a straight weight except it doesn't get as thick when it gets cold, therefore can meet the multi-weight classification.

Reply to
Rich256

Just everyday straight 30 will be fine. That's all i run in over 100 pieces of small eq, and 33 trucks at the landscaping co i work for.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

small engines haven't changed. The only reason they are recommending the multigrades is for emissions ratings. Also, it is more likely someone will have a multigrade on their shelf than a straight weight. Small engines use straight 30.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

But what I am saying is that synthetic multi grade such a 5w30 really is a straight weight. That is the way it is made. It doesn't get as thick when it gets cold and is far superior for small hot running engines. It doesn't have all or need those Viscosity Improvers used to make conventional multi-grade.

Just take a look at the manufacturers literature and you will see they even say multi-grade conventional is OK.

Rich256

Go to the source.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon