What is this type of foundation called?

I am thinking of building a storage buildong and remember coming across one time a different way of doing it. It seemed someone used posts as in a pole barn, but they were cut off short and a mudsill was attached to the posts Conventional stick framing was used on top of the mudsill. Do any of you know what this type of building is called? I like the idea of stick framing and it would be a way to have it without having to pour a footer or slab.
stryped wrote:

It's called a rat attractor.
--
All is as it is.

stryped wrote:

Hmm, Wood or concrete piling?
On 4/12/2011 4:13 PM, stryped wrote:

Pilings? Sounds like how they build the overpriced houses around the golf courses, on the sandbar islands on the Carolina coast. Of course, their pilings are a full story tall with lattice blowout walls, and they park the cars underneath, but it sounds like the same concept. Once you walk up the tall stairs to get in, they are ordinary hurricane-zone framed houses (clips, etc) but they are just built atop a couple dozen telephones poles.
No idea if a low-to-the-ground version of that is code legal in your area. Were you planning on a floor system, or living with a dirt/gravel floor? A slab might be cheaper than the materials for a floor system.
--
aem sends....

No floor. Just gravel. This would house my old tractor and lawn mowers and such. I liked the idea beasue I could buid standard frame walls in my garage and it would be easier to handle the shorter poles myself.

.
If you build a floor to take a tractor weight you are going to spend a ton of money. Unless the 'tractor' is merely a small yard machine. Price out the gravel and concrete slab system before you commit.
Joe
On 4/13/2011 8:15 AM, stryped wrote:

Okay, like the 3-sided tractor sheds on many farms and equipment yards- basically a carport with sides, and in your case a wall over the front. No real advantage in doing it the way you propose, then- you're gonna need a power auger to plant the poles anyway. May as well hire out having the poles planted, and then saw the tops off even and build a conventional roof over them. Add a few cross-ties to define the walls, and skin with metal shed siding.
--
aem sends...

stryped wrote the following:

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_4709866_build-australian-barn.html
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

After reviewing the text and pictures at that site, there's something I'm missing:
How are the floor joists attached to...errr...*What* are the floor joists attached to? Surely not the 2x6 skirtboard, right?
On 4/13/2011 2:03 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

There aren't any...it may have a concrete skirt and poured slab; barns of the sort often don't.

Then 'splain this picture from the site:
http://i.ehow.co.uk/images/a04/fn/fa/build-australian-barn-3.1-800X800.jpg
On 4/13/2011 2:24 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Artistic license. Illustrator didn't understand the concept. Since it's Oz it's upside down and gravity holds the floor up (or down, depending on your pov). All of the above.
Note there's nothing in that picture representing a joist and the floorboards in the middle between the columns under the doorway have no means of support at all as shown. In short, it's simply wrong.
Read the 'splanatshun on the opening page and the description that a residential building in Oz must have poured slab floor.

That's what prompted my question. Made no sense to me.
One of the pictures show *some* some support, but not near enough for the floor shown.
http://i.ehow.co.uk/images/a04/fn/fa/build-australian-barn-1.2-800X800.jpg
I guess the UK version of ehow isn't much better than the US version.

Sounds like more work than a floating slab and you don't end up with a critter-resistant shed-- or a nice dry floor to keep the humidity down.
How do you even attempt to make the walls meet the ground?
Jim

The walls sit on the double bottom ledger. They dont sit on the ground.

I built my shed on a "foundation" of white cedar 8X8 timbers (resawn from old utility poles) layed in a trench filled with crushed stone. (sub soil is sand), with 2X6 floor joists and 2X8 and 2X10 floor boards (most of it salvaged cedar timbers from a deck replacement project and a couple old cedar picnic tables) - and the tick framed building on top.
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/maintenance/What-is-this-type-of-foundation-called-629903-.htm engr.fawad wrote:
stryped wrote:

a good knowledge of foundation is here www.enggpedia.com