What is .875 inch as a fraction?

I need to buy some hose for an old washing machine. I plan top just buy some plastic tubing called Dairy hose (used for cow milking machines). I am almost helpless when it comes to math.
The original hose is listed as .875 inch ID. But that dairy hose is sold as a fraction, such as 3/4". (I know 3/4" is .750). What is .875 as a fraction?
(I'm guessing around 7/8", but that's just a guess).
Thanks for all help.
On Thu, 21 May 2015 17:12:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

inside vs. outside diameter. Hoses and pipe intended for different purposes often measured in different incompatible ways.
On Thu, 21 May 2015 17:12:33 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

    To do fractions, put your value over 1, and divide or multiply both top and bottom by the same number until you have the lowest whole number possible.
    .875/1.000     divide both by 5
    .175/.200     divide both by 5
    .35/.40
    divide both by 5     .7/.8
    Can't be divided any further, multiply by 10
    7/8     []'s     (I'm a terrible teacher)
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
On 05/21/2015 05:32 PM, Shadow wrote:

Your method works just fine but all the OP would have had to have done is enter .975 into a Google search. First hit said 7/8ths
On Thursday, May 21, 2015 at 7:30:39 PM UTC-4, philo wrote:

Or since he thought it was about 7/8, just divide 7 by 8. In this case it's exact. If it wasn't then try 13/16 or 15/16, etc. until you have it close enough for what you need.
http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/number/Decimal_to_Fraction.htm
On 5/21/15 7:30 PM, philo wrote:

Google gave me 39/40. I could have done it faster in my head by taking the complement: .025. Ah, 1/40, so .975 is 39/40.
The same approach works with .875.
On 5/21/2015 7:30 PM, philo wrote:

So to fractionate .875, I'd enter .975?
I have so much to learn.
On 05/21/2015 05:32 PM, Shadow wrote: [snip]
Or approach it from the other direction, divide 7 by 8. That's all you need to do here.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 5/21/2015 6:12 PM, snipped-for-privacy@spamblocked.com wrote:

A $10 pocket calculator can make life easier, I like the TI-30Xa.
John
On 05/22/2015 06:43 PM, John wrote:
[snip]

Your computer may have an even better one..
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 5/23/2015 1:49 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

My workstation doesn't fit in my pocket.
However :
My cell phone has a free app called 'CalcMadeEasy' that is nearly as good as the TI.
John