what do I do with a 22 long rife bullet that did not fire

Use it as an inline fuse.

What are you doing here Jack?

Reply to
G. Morgan

How many duds do you get? I have gone through many thousand 22 shots and can scarcely even remember having a dud. Maybe the ammo is really old or contaminated with oil? Or maybe a problem with your gun, weak spring or just dirty.

Pulling 22 bullets out is easy you can almost do it without tools. I hold the cartridge in my hand and grab the lead with pliers or vise grips. Don't try to pull straight out but rather bend the lead out over the side of the casing. It's all in the wrist action....

I don't think you could ever set one off like that but even if you did, it's not particularly dangerous. Most of the powder doesn't even ignite unless it's contained the the barrel of a gun. You might want to wear safety glasses or goggles. Even in a fire 22's don't do much, the lead doesn't move much, the hot brass casings do fly around.

You can soak the casing in WD40 or any oil to deactivate the primer and gun powder. I think that soaking will even work to deactivate before pulling the bullet. Most of the reason to pull the bullet is to prevent someone else from finding them and trying to fire them again or people freaking out.

I wouldn't bother the police or gun shop.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

Take them back to the ammo store.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

They aren't even dangerous if you throw them in a fire. The case will split, the bullet will just lay there. Case may move a few inches.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Just bored. You?

Reply to
alarman

Even if it goes off there is no danger. Unless it is confined in a gun barrel the most that happens is the case splits, may move a few inches, but the bullet just lays there.

I went through many boxes of 22's back when I was a kid and never had a misfire except for in one gun with a weak firing pin. Sometimes had to try to fire it 2 or 3 times before it would go off (or shift it to another gun).

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Huh?

This true? Toss a 22LR into a fire, and it will not fire?

They aren't even dangerous if you throw them in a fire. The case will split, the bullet will just lay there. Case may move a few inches.

Harry K

Reply to
Kevin

I bought a new Marlin 60 and these Remington Thunderbolt.

I get a dud every 20-25. Something don't smell right.

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote in news:8dednSs4qbh2lLbUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@news.ruraltel.net:

You missed an opportunity. Could have put them in Halloween goody bags.

Reply to
Red Green

If you truly don't know what to do with these, please turn in all your firearms.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

They obviously won't go off if pinched too hard, or they would have fired in the gun.

Duh

Reply to
SteveB

Frankly, I can't imagine this being a problem worth thinking about. It has been over fifty years since I have fired rimfires, but in my teens and twenties, I have shot tons of boxes of 22 rimfires, and never had a single one that didn't fire.

Either they are making inferior ammo now days, or you have a problem with your gun.

What's the big deal?

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob

It will do just what Harry K says. It will pop and the case will blow backwards a short distance. I've done this many times.

EJ > Huh?

Reply to
Ernie Willson

... Can only get a high velocity projectile if have a tightly fitting compression chamber to contain/direct the bullet and hold the casing diameter.

--

Reply to
dpb

They are the perfect bullet for playing russian roulet!

I am the real ftwhd and I approve this message.

Reply to
ftwhd

It's a .22, not a 50-cal round. Without the tightly-fitting long tube from the gun, it's practically harmless even if it does go off.

Besides, the bullet will practically fall out of the casing. You take two pairs of pliers, grab the casing lightly with one, grab the bullet lightly with the other, give a little wiggle, and the round is rendered inert.

What problem? A Hefty bag can contain the "blast" from an unchambered .

22 cartridge should it go off.

Learn what makes a gun work.

Reply to
mkirsch1

I had a gun with a weak firing pin. A round that misfired in it would fire in another gun or even with multiple tries in the same gun.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Fire? Yes. Dangerous? No. You can try it yourself if you have a wood stove or a bonfire. Just toss a handfull of them in and it will sound like firecrackers but no damage to anything.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I've had this one on the list for years. It's a great group.

I always thought if there was a NG for RLB to hawk his wares it was this one. Of course, I never suggested it. ;-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

How could it? Think about how a gun works. The bullet is contained in a chamber that only allows the expanding gas to escape in one direction.

Reply to
George