what do I do with a 22 long rife bullet that did not fire

Page 2 of 3
jeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeee... an hours worth of work for nothing.

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 14:09:16 -0600, "Kevin"

Pliers! Pull the tip off and pour out the powder.
Sell the brass.
Probably worth $0.0000046 for scrap brass.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Kevin wrote:

off if rim pinched too hard. My shooting club has a dud box. Don't know how they dispose.
Frank wrote:

You put then in a thick steel box, and run the box through a furnace. It cooks off all the rounds harmlessly. Not worth it unless you have a lot of them, enough so a scrap company will pay for the residue.
-- aem sends...

They obviously won't go off if pinched too hard, or they would have fired in the gun.
Duh

I had a gun with a weak firing pin. A round that misfired in it would fire in another gun or even with multiple tries in the same gun.
Harry K
I should have added -- I have small children around.
I thought about trying to pull the bullet out.. but there seems to be some risk that it goes off.
Tossing them in the trash seems to be the way to transfer the problem, but not solve it.
I'd like to neutralize any risk of it ever going off.
Sounds like PD or gun shop.
Well then throw the dam thing out the window on the interstate on the way to work... GD!!!!

Take it to a public school, and throw it down the hall? The kids need the day off.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Kevin wrote:

How many duds do you get? I have gone through many thousand 22 shots and can scarcely even remember having a dud. Maybe the ammo is really old or contaminated with oil? Or maybe a problem with your gun, weak spring or just dirty.
Pulling 22 bullets out is easy you can almost do it without tools. I hold the cartridge in my hand and grab the lead with pliers or vise grips. Don't try to pull straight out but rather bend the lead out over the side of the casing. It's all in the wrist action....
I don't think you could ever set one off like that but even if you did, it's not particularly dangerous. Most of the powder doesn't even ignite unless it's contained the the barrel of a gun. You might want to wear safety glasses or goggles. Even in a fire 22's don't do much, the lead doesn't move much, the hot brass casings do fly around.
You can soak the casing in WD40 or any oil to deactivate the primer and gun powder. I think that soaking will even work to deactivate before pulling the bullet. Most of the reason to pull the bullet is to prevent someone else from finding them and trying to fire them again or people freaking out.
I wouldn't bother the police or gun shop.
Kevin

Even if it goes off there is no danger. Unless it is confined in a gun barrel the most that happens is the case splits, may move a few inches, but the bullet just lays there.
I went through many boxes of 22's back when I was a kid and never had a misfire except for in one gun with a weak firing pin. Sometimes had to try to fire it 2 or 3 times before it would go off (or shift it to another gun).
Harry K

It's a .22, not a 50-cal round. Without the tightly-fitting long tube from the gun, it's practically harmless even if it does go off.
Besides, the bullet will practically fall out of the casing. You take two pairs of pliers, grab the casing lightly with one, grab the bullet lightly with the other, give a little wiggle, and the round is rendered inert.

What problem? A Hefty bag can contain the "blast" from an unchambered . 22 cartridge should it go off.
Learn what makes a gun work.

Hit them with a hammer.
Soak them in kerosene for a couple of days. That should soak past the bullet and deactivate the powder and primer. Also, your local shooting range can dispose of duds for you.
Kevin wrote:

Hit it with a hammer. What could possibly go wrong.
--
js

I pull the bullet out. Discard bullet. Pour gunpowder into a pile. Burn powder - just hold a match to it, it burns fairly quickly. Don't burn too big of a pile at once. And don't even think of having an open can of gunpower or anything else flammable anywhere remotely close. I used to take the empty shells and hold them in a pair of pliers and hold them over a candle. They pop after a few seconds, but not that loud - the primer burns very fast, fast enough to make a popping noise - but there isn't very much of it (don't try this at home, kids - you can blow a finger off or worse if you are not very very carefull).
alarman wrote:

Use it as an inline fuse.
What are you doing here Jack?
--
It takes a big man to cry,
but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man. -Jack Handey