what do I do with a 22 long rife bullet that did not fire

Page 1 of 3
a bit off topic...
What should I do with those "dud" 22 long rifle cartridges/bullets that do not fire? I usually try to fire them a 2nd or 3rd time, but sometimes they don't fire. So I have this cartridge with bullet intact with 2 or 3 dents in the rim that I hate to just toss out in the pasture.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Kevin wrote:

Trash can.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Works for me. They aren't all that dangerous, unless you dispose of them in a fire.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

They aren't even dangerous if you throw them in a fire. The case will split, the bullet will just lay there. Case may move a few inches.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–
Huh?
This true? Toss a 22LR into a fire, and it will not fire?

They aren't even dangerous if you throw them in a fire. The case will split, the bullet will just lay there. Case may move a few inches.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–
It will do just what Harry K says. It will pop and the case will blow backwards a short distance. I've done this many times.
EJ in NJ
Kevin wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 07:22:22 -0500, Ernie Willson

When I was a kid many years ago, we would stick 22 shells in the mud by stock tanks. Back off a ways and shoot them with BB guns. The cases would go singing. I don't know if they split. I never found one.
Perhaps in an open fire they just lay there but with a half inch of mud acting as a barrel, they go flying.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Andy Asberry wrote:

You can use a "bullet puller." It's a simple device used by [reloaders.] It consists of a hammer that at one end has a compression fitting where you insert the bullet. By 'hammering' the tool, the bullet is separated from it's casing without firing, thus rendering the bullet harmless.
--
Zyp

Add pictures here
βœ–
Zyp wrote:

Don't use an inertia bullet puller with rimfire cartridges. It could set them off. (works great with centerfire)
I use two pairs of diagonal-cutter pliers to pull the bullets out of .22 duds to melt them down later.
Bob
Add pictures here
βœ–
Kevin wrote:

... Can only get a high velocity projectile if have a tightly fitting compression chamber to contain/direct the bullet and hold the casing diameter.
βœ–

You don't need a "tightly fitting compression chamber" at all. I've seen a .22 shell thrown down on a cement floor, it landed just right, blew off and shot a hole in the ceiling.
Cheers, Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–

Was the ceiling 1 foot high and made of tissue paper? Jim
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 02:52:31 -0600, Jim2009 wrote:

And then you woke up and realized that it was a dream.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Many gun people are "reloaders" who assemble their own shells. These people would know how to disassemble a bad one.
Add pictures here
βœ–

With a .22 you can usually get the bullet out without any tools.
Just stick the lead end into the muzzle of a .22, twist and pull, you can almost always bend it apart just with your fingers.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Fire? Yes. Dangerous? No. You can try it yourself if you have a wood stove or a bonfire. Just toss a handfull of them in and it will sound like firecrackers but no damage to anything.
Harry K
Add pictures here
βœ–
Kevin wrote:

How could it? Think about how a gun works. The bullet is contained in a chamber that only allows the expanding gas to escape in one direction.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I'd call my local police or gun shop. Either might offer to take them off your hand for disposal. Or perhaps call your local hazardous waste facility.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Dispose of it safely, put it in your fireplace. Have fun with it, hit it with a hammer. Stick it in the turkey before you cook it.
Add pictures here
βœ–
I pull the bullet off the cartridge (with pliers), toss the powder on the front lawn and fill the casing with oil. The powder will fertilize the lawn and the oil will deactivate the primer. I guess the powder could ignite when you do this, but it has never happened to me. YMMV
EJ in NJ
Kevin wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–