what do I do with a 22 long rife bullet that did not fire

a bit off topic...

What should I do with those "dud" 22 long rifle cartridges/bullets that do not fire? I usually try to fire them a 2nd or 3rd time, but sometimes they don't fire. So I have this cartridge with bullet intact with 2 or 3 dents in the rim that I hate to just toss out in the pasture.

Reply to
Kevin

Trash can.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'd call my local police or gun shop. Either might offer to take them off your hand for disposal. Or perhaps call your local hazardous waste facility.

Reply to
Bob F

Dispose of it safely, put it in your fireplace. Have fun with it, hit it with a hammer. Stick it in the turkey before you cook it.

Reply to
ransley

I pull the bullet off the cartridge (with pliers), toss the powder on the front lawn and fill the casing with oil. The powder will fertilize the lawn and the oil will deactivate the primer. I guess the powder could ignite when you do this, but it has never happened to me. YMMV

EJ > a bit off topic...

Reply to
Ernie Willson

Works for me. They aren't all that dangerous, unless you dispose of them in a fire.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Pliers! Pull the tip off and pour out the powder.

Sell the brass.

Reply to
Oren

so throw them in the dam trash.

Steve Barker DLT

jeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeee... an hours worth of work for nothing.

Steve Barker DLT

Trash can. I would not pull bullet from a rimfire as primer might go off if rim pinched too hard. My shooting club has a dud box. Don't know how they dispose.

Reply to
Frank

You put then in a thick steel box, and run the box through a furnace. It cooks off all the rounds harmlessly. Not worth it unless you have a lot of them, enough so a scrap company will pay for the residue.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I should have added -- I have small children around.

I thought about trying to pull the bullet out.. but there seems to be some risk that it goes off.

Tossing them in the trash seems to be the way to transfer the problem, but not solve it.

I'd like to neutralize any risk of it ever going off.

Sounds like PD or gun shop.

Reply to
Kevin

Well then throw the dam thing out the window on the interstate on the way to work... GD!!!!

Steve Barker DLT

"Kevin" wrote in news:8dednSs4qbh2lLbUnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@news.ruraltel.net:

Hit them with a hammer.

Reply to
Mr.Spock

Soak them in kerosene for a couple of days. That should soak past the bullet and deactivate the powder and primer. Also, your local shooting range can dispose of duds for you.

Reply to
professorpaul

Probably worth $0.0000046 for scrap brass.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Of those, I'd choose gun shop. The PD may start an investigation, and end up giving you more trouble.

The only risk of trouble with trash, if your area incinerates.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Take it to a public school, and throw it down the hall? The kids need the day off.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hit it with a hammer. What could possibly go wrong.

Reply to
alarman

I pull the bullet out. Discard bullet. Pour gunpowder into a pile. Burn powder - just hold a match to it, it burns fairly quickly. Don't burn too big of a pile at once. And don't even think of having an open can of gunpower or anything else flammable anywhere remotely close. I used to take the empty shells and hold them in a pair of pliers and hold them over a candle. They pop after a few seconds, but not that loud - the primer burns very fast, fast enough to make a popping noise - but there isn't very much of it (don't try this at home, kids - you can blow a finger off or worse if you are not very very carefull).

Reply to
Zoot