What defines a tree?

Page 3 of 3
clipped

I will not ever be a strong advocate of HA's or condo associations, BUT...I have lived next to neighbors who raised rabbits and chickens in their back yard and piled all of the refuse ever owned along the property line. So, every setting has drawbacks :o) And almost every condo board has a goon who will do as they wish until someone removes or objects often enough and strongly enough. Right/wrong, good/bad, feasible/idiotic, or economical/wasteful often have nothing to do with decisions. Absolute power........
We have a board member who likes to turn on sprinklers when people are in the yard. Who assaulted me for turning it off. Don't believe it? Why are they still on the board? It has to do, probably, with property values, how the board votes on remodelling or approving new purchasers, who gets in without a credit check, and how tough they get with delinquent monthly assessments :o)
Oh, and I ran across a semi-definition (is that a word?) of "tree", which described one as a self-supporting, straight woody stem with clear trunk of at least 10' blah, blah, blah.
And when it comes to house colors, I drive by a bright purple house once in a while. Don't mind seeing it. Would it drive me wild if I lived next door? Don't know :o) Bright pink should be outlawed.
If you're in Florida, the Homeowners Association is required to have a separate committee for appeals to homeowner fines. Perhaps in your state there's the same capability. If so, you should be able to go to the appeals committee and tell them that you removed the tree because it was dead and a hazard, and that the logical alternative was to leave it standing (and unsightly) until it fell on something, for which you would have been liable.
The real question, though, is what do the Association documents and rules require. Prior notice of any landscaping changes? Approval for contractor to enter the subdivision? A good board can't let a violation of the rules go by without taking action, because it creates precedents for others to ignore rules. That's something you signed on for when you joined a Homeowner's Association.
And -- eventually -- why we moved OUT of a homeowners' association community to a better area. Regards --

Matt wrote:

Simple. A tree is a tree whether it is growing or dead. Write a letter that tells them that you had the tree removed for safety reasons because of immediate danger. Tell them that you will pay the fine if they are in favor of dangerous situations and don't care about safety to neighbors and negiborhood kids.
Matt wrote:

The Hells Angels even control *that* where you live?
damn...
hahahaha
Yes, they took complete control a few years ago.