What defines a tree?

Wrong again, badgolferfuckhead.

No one 'picks' on me. Your terminology is funny though. Best as I can recall "picking on someone' was something that happened in grade school.

Get back on the short bus, Son.

Reply to
Matt

The fact remains you have been fined for cutting down a tree on your own property by a bunch of people you gave the power to do that. The method of communication you are using with me will certainly not provide any relief if you use it on them. If it makes you feel better to insult me go ahead, I'm not the one forking out $250 to some pinheads for not asking their permission to do some yard work. Hey, make sure you cut the grass before they send the sheriff out to get you!

Reply to
badgolferman

You get out of the house much, golferfuckhead?

Never mind, that was a dumb question.

Hey - I hear your mommy yelling for ya!

Reply to
Matt

Gosh....every city in the US of A has gone commie, I guess. Just because I spent $500,000 on my dream shack and I don't want a neighbor raising hogs in the back yard. Nyet!

Reply to
Norminn

Wow! Wow? So?

Reply to
Norminn

That is why it is important to buy land in the right place. Do a little snooping. Find out what the neighbors have and what the town zoning (if they have any) allows.

We have zoning to take care of the potential major issues, but I don't need approval on my house color, I can leave my garage door open while I'm working around the garden or in my shop, I can have overnight guests park on the street all night with no permission. Basic courtesy takes care of most problems.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Our sympathy: maybe over regulation? In the name of 'Preserving property values'!

Following is possibly a myth? But; Story few years ago (in the UK?) that a local authority, or whoever, 'got after' a certain homeowner to paint his somewhat neglected house. He did. In many varied colours: Purple, yellow, green, orange etc. and using combinations of stripes, chequered patterns and polka dots. Very 'colourful' it was said. Local authority were apparently not impressed; but the homeowner had complied with the order to paint!

BTW. Good luck down there in "The land of the Free and the Brave". Because I gather there even are US residential areas where external TV or radio antenna/aerials are not allowed; but that flagpoles are? Trusting that in accordance with "Due respect be paid to any/all national flags" etc. flags are respectfully lowered, folded and stored at sunset. Also that flags do not flap and cause a 'noise nuisance' during the evening and night time hours? TV and other antenna being essentially quiet.

Reply to
Terry

clipped

I will not ever be a strong advocate of HA's or condo associations, BUT...I have lived next to neighbors who raised rabbits and chickens in their back yard and piled all of the refuse ever owned along the property line. So, every setting has drawbacks :o) And almost every condo board has a goon who will do as they wish until someone removes or objects often enough and strongly enough. Right/wrong, good/bad, feasible/idiotic, or economical/wasteful often have nothing to do with decisions. Absolute power........

We have a board member who likes to turn on sprinklers when people are in the yard. Who assaulted me for turning it off. Don't believe it? Why are they still on the board? It has to do, probably, with property values, how the board votes on remodelling or approving new purchasers, who gets in without a credit check, and how tough they get with delinquent monthly assessments :o)

Oh, and I ran across a semi-definition (is that a word?) of "tree", which described one as a self-supporting, straight woody stem with clear trunk of at least 10' blah, blah, blah.

And when it comes to house colors, I drive by a bright purple house once in a while. Don't mind seeing it. Would it drive me wild if I lived next door? Don't know :o) Bright pink should be outlawed.

Reply to
Norminn

clipped

Also find out whether the municipality ENFORCES their code.

Basic courtesy? I remember that.

Reply to
Norminn

clipped

Florida had enough flag/antenna battles that they finally passed a law, at least as applies in condo's. In condo's, one flag, and the right to have TV antenna. Now, our little satellite dish must face the southern sky and in the forseeable future a tree with grow enough to block it's view. So.......

There recently was an article about some folks in a mobile-home park with a long term, running skirmish. One has lights and cameras directed at neighbor, and the neighbor has all kinds of flags and windsocks. One of them will probably become exasperated enough, some day, to have a heart attack and die. Otherwise, no end in sight :o)

Reply to
Norminn

A Brit poking sticks at US freedoms? That's a good one.

Perhaps you'd like to comment on the following, my limey friend:

'Each of Britain's 24 million vehicles would be tracked by satellite if a variable "pay-as-you-drive" charge replaces the current road tax.'

Matt

On 06/05/05 12:03 pm Matt tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

At least they're only talking about charging so much per mile at peak times. I've driven on roads in the USA where I pay accrding to the distance I travel at *all* times; they are called toll roads, and include the NY Thruway and the Ohio Turnpike.

It sounds like a great idea.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

You don't get it, do you?

The point isn't how much they charge, or how they compute it, but rather that the national government would be tracking the location and movements of every private vehicle 24x7.

If the Brits see nothing wrong with that... well, that's why we're citizens, and they're subjects.

Reply to
Doug Miller

On 06/05/05 12:34 pm Doug Miller tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

When I lived in NT and had an EZPass transponder on my vehicle, various govt. authorities could track my movements: the thing worked not only in NY but in NJ and MA as well.

Brits may complain about the particular government that's in power at any given time, but (unlike many Americans, ISTM) they do not usually fear government as an institution as such.

Sure, George III was a bad ruler, but he would have died in due course.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

On 06/05/05 12:50 pm Percival P. Cassidy tossed the following ingredients into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Make that "When I lived in *NY* and . . . "

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

And in PA, MD, DE and lots of other places now. Th EZ Pass is a volantury system. It is ot being used to track people on a regular basis. If you don't like the idea, just pay the tolls at the booth. Yes, we are giving a "potential" for abuse, but until that happens, I like the benefit.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sort of. To coerce people into using the transponders, Illinois has doubled the cash toll; i.e. where your transponder clicks off 40 cents, the cash lanes charge eighty cents.

I have responded by avoiding the toll roads. And, miracle of miracles, it's really cost me extremely little in extra time or mileage (provided I plan my route sanely).

Reply to
clifto

If you're in Florida, the Homeowners Association is required to have a separate committee for appeals to homeowner fines. Perhaps in your state there's the same capability. If so, you should be able to go to the appeals committee and tell them that you removed the tree because it was dead and a hazard, and that the logical alternative was to leave it standing (and unsightly) until it fell on something, for which you would have been liable.

The real question, though, is what do the Association documents and rules require. Prior notice of any landscaping changes? Approval for contractor to enter the subdivision? A good board can't let a violation of the rules go by without taking action, because it creates precedents for others to ignore rules. That's something you signed on for when you joined a Homeowner's Association.

And -- eventually -- why we moved OUT of a homeowners' association community to a better area. Regards --

Reply to
World Traveler

We shit in our lawns here!

Reply to
Oscar_Lives

On Sun 05 Jun 2005 06:16:42a, Terry wrote in alt.home.repair:

Three stories come to mind. The first, when we lived in a rather upscale gated community in NE Ohio, we installed a very tasteful solid copper weathervane on our chimney. Almost immediately we received a notice from the HOA that we had to remove it. A thorough reading of all the HOA documents revealed that weathervanes were not covered by any regulation. We did discover, however, that television and radio antennas were covered and allowed, up to a size approximately 10 times the size of our weathervane. The easiest response to the HOA was that we would agreeably remove the weathervane, and would install in its place a 15 foot tall television antenna of a rather complex design. We were quickly advised to leave the weathervane in place.

The second was in the same community, the HOA allowed only one home per street or cul-de-sac to have an installed flagpole.

The third involves a lovely 1920s vintage two-story frame home with double front porches in a nearby neighborhood. The homes and streets lined with huge old trees are picturesque and evoke another era. The house involved was on a prominent corner lot. At one point it was put up for sale and purchased fairly soon afterward. A few months later I happened to drive through the area and discovered that the house had been painted a vivid lavender with bright yellow trim and shutters. It soom came to be known as the "Easter Egg House", and has remained that color for over 20 years. There is no HOA, nor any local code or regulation that could force the owner to repaint the house in a more suitable color scheme.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright