What color laser printer is easily & cheaply refilled at home from non OEM toner?

Le Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:07:52 +0900, Gernot Hassenpflug a écrit :

I don't have an Epson printer at home, but I have seen Epson printed photos and HP printed conterparts. I mostly noticed that Epson colours seem to fade a lot faster than HP's. True enough, the fading of HP prints, although slow, is an awful lot faster than that of old photos that were chemically treated !

Reply to
Bernard

Using refilled toner or even ink is a difficult thing nowadays.

I would always check if there is something like a Chip outside bonded to th= e cartridge or of there a row of few smaller contacts which can mean there = is a hidden chip inside the cartridge. HP has such in/on their laser toner = cartridges e.g. to brand it original and avoiding manufacture of cartridges= . If so there will be prints counted down to 0 and no further prints allowed = possibly if empty state has been reached. Refill does not help insofar in such cases because the Chip counter remains= at 0meaning 'empty state' to the printer making it showing a "Replace Tone= r cartridge" permanently unless a new unused original cartridge has been in= stalled thereafter. The only way which is then possible along with a manual refill of a laser c= artrige is by resetting the chip also (by using a chip resetter or replacem= ent chip for the special type of cartridge - if available for it). This is the same situation like it is with most Inkjet today's printers at = these times. Refill is futile or impossible because of a chip counter on th= e ink cartridges making it refuse to print further if the internal counter = is down or up. Even 3rd party cartridges must have or at least emulate a si= milar chip telling the printer there is a new cartridge installed else the = printer won't print or tell there is no cartridge installed or damaged/wron= g cartridge installed.

The main reason for such behavior is : the printer manufacturers eagerly wa= nt to make money by selling their own original cartridges avoiding usage of= 3rd party or remanufactured/refilled cartridges. Installing refilled or wr= ong cartridges mostly and also leads to formal expiry of warranties for qua= lity, reliablility, printer/head lifetimes and so on.

Bernd

Am Sonntag, 19. August 2012 00:39:15 UTC+2 schrieb J.G.:

Reply to
berndjkjp

Tell the wife and kid that there will be a coin jar next to the printer. They'll have to put in a quarter for every page printed. Plus, since the head clogs if you don't use it, there'll be an additional 50-cents/day surcharge...and they'll have to pre-pay. See if they still want a color printer.

Unless you're in advertising, color is wasteful. You can buy a digital picture frame for less than the cost to print all those pictures in color. For most of us, taking the flash card into Walgreens for printing costs less than owning a color printer.

Reply to
mike

I can't believe all the color (laser) printers at work. One has to go out of one's way to print in B&W. Most of them do ledger, too. Yes, wasteful, for the most part, but in some cases color is useful.

I have a couple of color printers at home but they're never used so they don't. I also have a B&W laser that doesn't get used much but at least it does work. Aftermarket cartridges are cheap enough, too.

Different.

The cost of owning is nothing. The cost of *using* is huge. ;-)

Reply to
krw

My laser printer when it goes into sleep mode draws 6 watts which is less than the damn night light i have in my upsatirs hallway.

Reply to
GMAN

HP CP2025 is relatively cheap ($400), produces excellent color printing, has been reliable, and is easily refillable. Get your refilling stuff at

they are made for each printing engine.

Reply to
Quiet Man

Thanks for your summary. I would disagree with the inclusion of the HP1700c A3 printer. I removed the internal battery from the printer and have neve r had any refusal on date of either heads or ink cartridges. I use this pri nter solely on expired parts and use it a LOT. The printer has its own int ernal date system. It looks at each installed cartridge and head individual ly. I use a CIS ink system and there is never a problem. The chips on thos e don't take a count. One problem that does exist is the counter on the hea ds that can't be overridden. Unless anyone else knows differently...

Reply to
rg4e.bti

So far people keep talking around the actual question asked. So I will ask it again for those who did not bother to read it the first time.

The question is NOT about inks or ink refills, it specifically asks about best COLOR LASER PRINTER that can be refilled.

I have used Konica but recently have had an issue with the chips not working and the printer refusing to print even though there is plenty of toner in the machine.

I am also on the hunt for replacement that won't break the bank for toners.

Reply to
stuffdoneweb

I have a Brother Color MFC and I've refilled the toner with an aftermarket kit. It's several years old though, can't tell you about today. I'd find one that fits your requirements, then google about refilling that specific model. Should be info and videos, etc. I've had two Brothers now and they've worked fine for me, but then I'm not a heavy user either.

Reply to
trader_4

Separate toner cartridges and print drums. You just replace a "tube" of toner - and the tubes are VERY east to refill - not even a hole to drill. Just source compatible toner.

Reply to
clare