What bait to use in mousetraps?

Page 1 of 2
I've had no mouse activity this Fall/Winter, then all of the sudden within the last week there's poop everywhere.
I've put traps out. I have 2 kinds: spring traps, and the kind that squeeze the mouse until he suffocates (my favorite).
I baited them with peanut butter, and the little bastards lick them clean every night! I don't know how they do it. I've tested the traps and they all have hair triggers. They usually go off when I'm just setting them down.
What should I bait them with that will cause the little pricks to have to work at it?
Mitch@_._ wrote:

Think cat.

Had one. Didn't work out.

Why is that? Can they smell their dead brethren?
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 14:25:04 GMT, Mitch@_._ wrote:

I'm sure there is truth to the "don't reuse" but at the same time, I've reused successfully. What I end up doing after I've gotten frustrated is setting new traps but using the old traps too. But I'm sure I've gotten consecutive mouses in the same trap.
I'm using these: http://tinyurl.com/3d5nkn
These are good because if my toddler puts his finger in it, it won't hurt. These have worked great for me in the past. It closes on the mouse's upper body and squeezes until he can't breathe anymore.
It's fun to watch, too.
I'm glad I used these, because I see already one of the kids decided to help out by sticking a Cheerio in the PB.
The other kind looks like this, but it's a spring trap. I have these in the nooks and crannies where my kids won't get at them.
The glue traps are 100%, but my wife freaks out when she hears the mouse shrieking in his death throes.
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 15:17:33 GMT, Mitch@_._ wrote:

I like these too. They're also available at any Walgreens drugstore.
I use crunchy peanut butter as bait, and I spread it on the underside of the top of trap, not the trigger paddle.
-dickm
Mitch@_._ wrote:

Behind or under kitchen range or fridge is a good place to put traps so's kids and pets cannot reach them. These areas also favored by mice, in my experience.

Yeah, that's how they get access to the whole kitchen. They go up through the range and come out through the vents.
Isn't a .22 a bit of overkill for a mouse? I use the 'foot of god' method'
I fold the glue trap over, put it on the floor outside and stomp on it, instantly the mouse is no longer suffering, the trap is now stuck together so the glue is inside where it doesn't stick to everything, and it's all ready to throw out.
--
Mikey S.
< snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com> wrote in message

Did you read the post?

I swear by this method! We have a summer getaway out in the boonies and there's usually no shortage of the little sob's there. The problem with individual traps is when they go off with or without a victim, its useless until reset. These dunk buckets work until the heard either wises up (hasn't happened yet) or decimates (yes!)... The buckets tend to get a little stinky if you don't clean them out every couple days but other than that they just plain work beautifully! when I first tried one after one night I had at least a dozen drownings by morning. I put one inside our shack. I have another outside. Now I have usually been lucky to get a couple in the outside bucket and it's been rare to get even one inside. Try it!
Steve

I'd rather have a smelly few in a pail than a smelly couple in spring traps or worse, "somewhere" in the house after expiring from eating poisoned bait. Disposal outside in a patch of bush is easy and there's no danger that scavengers will consume any remnants of the poison. I've actually heard my setup go off in the night and checked to find a swimmer.
Mitch@_._ wrote:

Get two cats.

Former prison cats work great; as far as I can tell.
Any local prison will donate cats, if nothing else but to get them out of the dumpster life.
On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 22:51:19 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I recall traps being used in consecutive order. Blood or not.
How does the mouse know?
(Doug Miller)

I have seen mouse traps that were twenty years old.
Don't re-use traps?
Piffle.
Steve

They do have noses, you know...
--
Regards,
On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 05:03:47 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Somewhat OT. I saw on a nature show that while humans can't smell many/most/all things after a while of constantly smelling them, beagles and bloodhounds don't react that way. They continue to smell the scent.
I guess this is could be learned from movies where they go for hours tracking someone, but I try not to take everything in movies as truth.

So is soap. Wash your hands after handling a mousetrap, dummy.