Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work

Good advice. Or somewhere in between. "I was thinking of xx dollars/hour. Is that all right? (I'm not sure.) ...."

Minimum wage
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke
Jerry - OHIO wrote:

I'm sure pleased to hear that poplar is a popular wood!
It's popular with me because all my wood is Free wood from when I worked for a home builder. I wouldn't be able to build any thing if I had to buy all my wood. I still have a lot of lumber in stock. 12@ 1x 12x 12ft oak 6@ 1x 10 x 12ft oak 15@ 1x12 x 10 ft popular poplar and a bunch of 4 and 6 ft peices of red redwood I ran out of the walnut I had . I need to find some FREE pine. Jerry
http://community.webtv.net/awoodbutcher/1974Tryke
Jerry - OHIO wrote:

I think that's a Whooosh.
Look at a subtitle on the first page of the first link.

Perhaps it would be best to avoid mentioning specific dollar amounts. Show him what you have to offer in terms of a place to stay and then negotiate what he might do for that.
Kadaifi wrote:

It is a bad idea on several levels. First, IMO, that doing business or financial deals with relatives is a bad idea. I would have to know a lot more before advising to go ahead ... what relationship? Why does he not go elsewhere for work? Why is he homeless? How old? Married? Debts?
A mature adult needs their own living space.......living under your roof makes him responsible to you, and in combination with doing work on your home, it just seems to invite too many conflicts. What would be the rule for work hours, having guests, length of stay? If you set a time limit and he still "can't find work", what will you do? How long can he stay before he establishes legal residency? A competent carpenter can certainly find work, although it may be another vocation for a time.
I have know a couple of elderly folks who, when they passed away, left lists of all the little "loans" to family. I decided long ago that if family needed money, it would be a gift and not a loan. If I can afford to lend it, I can afford to give it, and it is a done deal. No worry for either party and no "look at all I've done for you". And it wouldn't be time after time, because folks either take responsibility for finances or lose privileges. What doesn't kill ya/ makes ya' stronger. And smarter.

I pay $30/hr for this kind of arrangement, with a friend of a friend not a relative.

Tell him that you will give him room and board and he can determine how he can use his re-modeling skills to pay his keep. Tell him that it is up to him to determine what is fair. If he is truly appreciative then you will get a great deal. If he is just looking for a handout or has a problematic lifestyle you'll soon find out and can remove him from the deal.
On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:18:21 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote Re Re: Whar to pay an out of work relative for re-modeling work:

Excellent suggestion.