Weed whackers you've hated

Page 1 of 2
I'm gonna be in the market for a weed whacker soon, probably rechargable. If you've had one that made you want to murder whoever made it, I'd like to know details, please, as well as whatever you bought that you ended up liking.
Thanks.
JSB,
I had a Troybuilt rechargeable that I used on a front yard with 80' of trimming perimeter. It worked fine until the battery died just after the warranty was out. I suspect the battery would be around $40.00 to replace on a $65.00 trimmer. I gave it to my nephew to use on his townhouse. We now live on an acre so I went with a Echo gas model.
cm

JoeSpareBedroom wrote: ...

All of 'em... :)
Can't really think it's an application for rechargeables unless you have very small area, however.

That's about what I've got. I need maybe 15 minutes to do the job.

If the area is that small try a corded one

pointless. 3 years later when batteries crap out, replacements are expensive or impossible to find, and for that little use, the PITA of a gas unit outweighs the increased power. My corded Toro cost ten bucks at a garage sale, is probably ten years old, and will likely last another ten. I only need to edge with maybe every 3rd mowing, so call it 10-12 times a year. I can deal with a cord for that. My leaf/snow/gutter blower is electric corded, too, for the same reasons.
Having said all that, if I was making a living with such tools, I'd go with gas. Power and time pay for themselves, there.
aem sends....
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Depending on inclination and the application, a scythe is actual fun. I cut the entire lawn with one, about an acre. It has to be a hobby, though.
Also, corners are next to impossible with one, though they can cut right up to a building just fine.
http://www.scythesupply.com
You'll wind up spending a bundle once you get into it.
A pic. from Saturday
http://home.att.net/~rhhardinc/scythe001.jpg
Scythe with 28" grass blade is leaning on the telephone pole; a hay fork leaning on the cart.
--
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

On the internet, nobody knows you\'re a jerk.

I've got too many spots where it would be impossible to swing a scythe enough to make it effective. I like the idea, though.
On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 12:59:50 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

I have a gasoline "Weed Eater" I bought from WalMart about 20 years ago. It still runs well, lots of power, and I think I paid about $50 for it. Electric units are quiet, but don't have the power.
Phisherman wrote:

Rechargeable units lack power, plug in ones are ok other than having to drag a power cord around. Gas powered are of course best if you have more than a small area to do.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

I have an Echo SRM-2200 that I bought about 20 years ago and it still works great. I think the equivalent new model number is SRM-230S.
Bob

line that gets eaten up rapidly. I've got a 10 year old Ryobi - don't know the model - that uses .095 line. The only time it uses a lot of line is when I use it as an edger. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Retired Shop Rat: 14,647 days in a GM plant. Now I can do what I enjoy: Large Format Photography
i hate em all.

Me too, and I'm getting the feeling they're like that stuff you have to drink before certain radiology exams: There is no good version. But, I need a trimmer because I've just installed some new structure where I used to be able to mow.
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

also accepts attachments. I have the mini tiller attachment and it's perfect for my small flower beds. Electric tools/equipment have markedly improved the last few years, you just need to do your homework and choose wisely.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

hedge trimer set that only cost $100 but both batteries went and only source on internet wanted $50 each.

Looks like I'm heading toward gas-powered......let's see who else chimes in over the next day or three, though.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

If you really do have a small area to deal with, the corded electric trimmers are viable. It's the cordless electrics with all the expensive battery issues you need to avoid. No need to spend $200 on a gas trimmer to do 50' of trimming, a $50 electric will do fine. Also check Ryobi, their stuff isn't that bad.

If you do get a gas power, I would recommend thinking long and hard before getting a Troy-Bilt. I have the 4 cycle gas power one and I swear to God the guard is designed to toss the weeds into my shins no matter how its positioned. That and the strings for it are a crap shoot - easy to install, but some will break after 10 seconds, all have the durability of a Twizzler (and look like them too!)
It gets the job done for my 10,000 sq ft yard, but I'm not impressed.

If I buy a gas powered model, it'll come from a mower & yard equipment specialty shop, and I don't think they sell Troy Bilt. This is the type of purchase where, if there's a problem, I want to talk to someone real, ya know?