Weed Whacker string fuses to iteslf

I have a small electric weed whacker, which works quite well for it's size. However, the string on the spool tends to adhere to itself. Why does that happen?

I should mention that I am whacking some dense weeds. But the string does not feed out on it's own. I have to do it manually every few minutes. But its always stuck to itself. (Maybe I just need some new string????) ...

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Just hire an illegal alien gardner.

That's what most folks do.

Reply to
obediah

I used to get that all the time when I used cheap round string, or the more expensive string made like an "X" in cross section. When I hit a fence post or got too close to fence wire, etc. the string would be pulled with extreme force and speed and the edges in contact with each other would melt together.

My current string does not do that. I don't know the brand, but it is grey in color, round in form, and looks like it has metal in it. I use it in a gasoline powered weed whacker.

Look for it in a farm store.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

I fuond that such things are fairly useless.

Though my yard is mostly natural, I do have to remove the noxious weeds and even when I used a weed whacker or scythe, since the roots were still there, the weeds grew back.

Then I discovered that (wearing gloves) if I pull the weeds out roots and all after a good rainstorm, most of them are damn easy to remove...and since I get the roots, they don't come back.

After a few years my yard has been pretty much the way I like it and don't have much weeding to do.

I did have to go to court , but the city does allow me to have a natural yard...plenty of milkweed out there for the Monarchs etc.

Reply to
philo

String is most likely nylon and in use could exceed glass transition of about 115 deg. F. deforming it. Was a problem with old nylon tire cord tires where tire would warm up and when parked a flat spot would form and tire would thump next time used until Tg was exceeded.

Reply to
Frank

Either it is not feeding fast enough or you have the wrong string. The end is always melted. It is just supposed to be a few inches from the head.

Reply to
gfretwell

Are you using the right size? I have an old light duty electric that takes .045 iirc. The light gauge is hard to find so I went with the more common size. It did not feed well.

Reply to
rbowman

I dont know. I bought this used whacker at an auction and am using the string it came with. I suppose I'll have to phone the company to find out what it needs.

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

Or do something creative like google the model number... .065 is the smallest diameter readily available.

Reply to
rbowman