Weed Eater string replacement

This may seem like a really REALLY stupid question. But I'm a fairly new homeowner, this is the first spring with a yard, and we haven't really used many electric tools. :)

Today's problem is the Weed Eater. We bought it second-hand, it works great, but is now out of line. It's one of those Tap and Go varieties (officially, it's an electric Weed Eater 1210), where you just hit the thing on the ground and more string comes out.

Seemed simple enough. We went to the local Canadian Tire and bought some trimmer line...but we're unsure of how to put it in properly. We've got it in there, it's spinning nicely and chopping things, but the line doesn't advance when you tap it on the ground as we did before.

It has a spool to wrap the line around, but methinks we're making a mistake with where to put the end of it when we're done wrapping it on. There's a hole that it could fit in, or a notch that it could slip into.

Help please, if ye can!

KD

Reply to
KD

Put the string in the notch in the spool, then out the hole in the outer casing, and when you push it all together it will slip out of the notch and just be running from the spool out the hole..that should allow it to feed the string. Make sure you wind it in the right direction, usually there is an arrow on the spool, if not, try the other way if it's not working.

Reply to
Mikey S.

i have been messing with weed eaters for years. and when it runs out of cord its alway a pain to mess with the stuff.... when winding the cord back on you have to make sure you follow the directions on the spool, the arrow that you turn it on the correct way.... and you dont just put in on the spool any kind of way, but that you have each layer over the next and it is tight.. if not the lower layers will get on top of the outside layers and then tangle up the cord in the spool.. happened to me earlier today .... had to take the spool out about three times and pull on the cord, then rewrap it up and put it back into the hole and then the spool back on the weedwacher... sometimes the parts wear and it might be cheaper to just get a new Toro or other brand from Kmart or walmart.. sears even has sales on them often for about $35... so it does not make any sense in trying to fix them if you have worn parts.... i used to fix them, but then found out that the plastic parts wear out pretty quick and you get new parts and find out where the new parts meet the older unit it just does not slide into and out of like it is suppose to.. a used weed wacher/eater might just be someone else;s trouble that you have inherited??????

Reply to
jim