Web Enabled Time/Temp/Humidity and I/O Controller

Page 4 of 5

They're actually taking the much more reasonable approach of regulating maximum standby power usage.

Wake On Lan uses a small amount of power, considerably less than standby and sleep modes, to listen to the network for a wake up signal. That's the point of WOL.
Robert Green wrote:

I always thought the US Government should recycle all the land mines that are being dug up in the operational areas and put them on our Southern border.
TDD
"The Daring Dufas" wrote:

You figure it's a good idea to murder women and children for the "crime" of looking for work in the USA? I suppose your ancestors were not immigrants. Perhaps you're actually the Daring Arapaho?
Robert
Robert L Bass wrote:

Oh my God, another person who doesn't understand what an "illegal invader" is. If you knew there were land mines across a piece of land that was illegal for you to cross, would you set foot on that land anyway? I think news of the mines would get out pretty quickly especially with all the warning signs and little bits and pieces of criminal invaders everywhere. If they want a better life, why don't they fix Mexico? By the way, my ancestors came to the United States LEGALLY!
TDD
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 10:16:54 -0500, Robert L Bass wrote:

Yep. I came over in 2007 - process took about a 8 months, lots of paperwork, lots of fees (it'll end up being about $4000 when I'm all done I think, and I didn't have lawyer fees on top of that like most do).
The process costs a lot more than a lot of illegals can afford - even assuming a legal route is open to them, which it won't be in most cases. I can understand immigration issues on both sides of the fence - but killing folk whos only crime is wanting a better life elsewhere is really not the right answer...
"Jules" wrote:

$4,000? I hope that's for more than the green card (which was never green, BTW). We did our own paperwork for my wife and IIRC, ut came to less than $2K. That was in 2004-5.

From what some folks in Congress had been speaking about, the recent idea is to require illegal aliens to pay a fine, go home and then go through a pre-approved process for legal re-entry. The problem for many illegals is all of that will be beyond their financial means. We were fortunate in that my wife was here legally on a 5-year, renewable visa when we met. She and her family had been coming back and forth for many years as they always had visas. That comes with the territory for Brazilians who are fortunate enough to have a good job and their own homes in Brazil. The rest can't even come for a weekend visit. :^(
I have many hispanic and Brazilian friends here in the USA and in South America (I've been down there 14 times since 2001) and nearly half of them can't gain legal entry to the USA. I'd love to see a more open door policy but that's probably a few years off. We'll see.
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass
On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 22:18:33 -0500, Robert L Bass wrote:

I think fees all went up since then - that's also including long trips back and forth for medicals, embassy appointments, biometrics etc. which of course do depend on your location as to how expensive they are (although I think the medical alone was $400).
I'm getting toward the end of my 2 year conditional residency, and I think it's about $1000 for the paperwork to change that into a full green card. Then citizenship comes later (I realise that's optional!) and is doubtless similarly costly...

Yep. It's expensive and slow - but at the same time I can totally understand a country wanting to lock down its borders. I've just got issues with use of deadly force to patrol those borders, though...

Aha, OK... my wife's a USC - met her in 2005 on a trip over here and then went back and forth on the VWP for the next couple of years before kicking off all the paperwork.

Certainly would be nice just for visitors and maybe an increase of stay from the 90 days of the VWP.
cheers
Jules
"Jules" wrote:

I'm not surprised that the cost has risen.

IIRFC, we didn't have that pahse. Because my wife was already here on a visa when we married, we just applied for the green card. It took about 18 months back then though I think it may differ depending on country of origin, current circumstances, etc.

My cousin's wife (coincidentally, also from Brazil) recently became a citizen. Her cost was mainly for the lawyer because she fouled up her paperwork at one point. They got it straightened out and all went smoothly after a bit of wrangling though. I think the paper work cost was a lot less than the gren card app though.

I don't mind rules about who can and can't come, as long as they are fair and not based on which foreign government is helping the fortunes of some political party here. The prior poster is clearly an ill-informed red-neck with little to nothing in common with real patriots.
Hatred is NOT a family value.

The 90-day thing depends on country of origin and the purpose of the visa.
Funny thing is that when Americans visit Brazil on a tourist visa there's also a 90-day limit. On a couple of occasions I've stayed longer (as much as 5 months at a time) by applying for an extension. I now have a Brazilian Federal Police card which I carry for ID while traveling there. That opens a few doors and allows me to buy property. Their requirements for a work permit are even more confusing than ours. Since my company is online though, I don't really need that -- just the freedom to travel.
Have you been abroad since getting the "conditional"? There's an inconvenient surprise for many folks upon returning. Instead of being routinely processed through customs, you get side-tracked to a separate office where they question you more about your trip. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours before you get out to whoever is waiting for you and there's no way to make a call (cell phones are prohibited in customs). I'm not sure the reason for this step but it's a royal PITA if you arrive at a busy time.
This has gone on way too long so I'll let it go for now. Good luck with your app. Do go for full citizenship if you plan to stay in the US permanently. It's a great country and you should avail yourself of all the rights we don't give away to right-wing presidents from Texas. :^)
--

Regards,
Robert L Bass
On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:21:41 -0500, Robert L Bass wrote:

Aha, OK. I think it took me about half that time, but I get a green card for 2 years then i have to do more paperwork to turn it into a full green card (I've got all the rights of a full GC now, but I think they just want to hear from people 2 years down the line to make sure they're still married and aren't playing the system). I must be classed as something like a "non-permanent permanent resident" right now ;)

I've hated the paperwork so far - there's a lot of stuff in there that's a bit ambiguous. I can see why most folk hire lawyers to take care of it...
[snip]

Well, I got "grilled" in Chicago on my 4th trip over on the VWP, and it delayed me for about 30 mins - I had to hoof it to make my next flight. But it wasn't a bad experience (I'd heard some real horror stories) - the staff were polite and courteous and were happy with the answers I gave them.
Just frustrating not knowing in advance whether you're going to get 'caught' in that process though (maybe it's better now, but all the online airline ticket companies at the time didn't give the option for saying how long you wanted between landing in the US and getting a connecting flight - if the first flight was running late it could be tight enough as it was)
I've not tried going out of the US and back since I was granted residency - probably won't now either as I've only got until Feb before I have to apply to get the 'full' green card.
cheers!!
Jules
Can you guys take this to an appriate forum?
"B Fuhrmann" wrote:

Point taken. The discussion is over anyway.
Perhap learn the secrets of Outlook Express that you are using. Killfilter the thread. One click and the whining can stop.

The Daring Dufas wrote:

hmmmm, With passport and entry visa? You sound like a red neck. I earned a right to reside in USA working for your government sticking my neck out in dangerous places. No thanks, I am happy up here.
Tony Hwang wrote:

You said the magic words: "I earned the right". I'm glad you went through the legal process, that makes you an honorable man. My maternal ancestors came through Ellis Island legally and there is a possibility that a few of them were turned away in accordance with the existing law at the time. My paternal ancestors came to America with the second or third wave of colonists who were escaping a tyrannical English monarchy. I would be interested in how you know what I sound like. I don't recall posting an audio file. *snicker*
TDD
Robert Green wrote:

For the hobbiest...
http://members.upc.nl/a.kutsenko/pictures.htm

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.home.automation/browse_thread/thread/c2b9c0f65d305acf/1544156821a9bff?q=USB+module+for+monitoring+multiple+on/off+switches
I've got a vacation home with an ancient and expensive temperature sensing setup that I installed 20 years ago. This looks like a nice way to upgrade so I just bought one. I'm a VB programmer, but have never done any cgi stuff, and the manufacturers 'void warantee' blurb scares me. Does anyone know of the existance or whereabouts of some sample temperature sensor cgi code? Google didn't help.
Thanks in advance for any information.
John S.
__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4580 (20091106) __________
http://www.eset.com
On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 06:34:16 -0400, "Robert Green"

I can confirm that the WebControl devices being shipped by the Amazon supplier have the same v02.03.03 firmware as what www.cainetworks.com (the manufacturer) upgrades exist units to. I recently had two boards that I purchased about a year ago upgraded. CAi Networks did them for free for me in appreciation of my testing of various 1-wire devices and Honeywell humidity devices to them, but usually charge $20 + shipping which is more than 1/2 the price of the board without case through the Amazon supplier.
FWIW, I found that the board works OK with the HIH-3600 humidity sensor as well as the HIH-4000 series specified. The bug with the 1-wire appears fixed. Previously, the board would only accommodate Maxim's low-accuracy ( +/- 2C) DS1822 "Econo" device. It now also works with the "High-Precision" ( LOL ! ) DS18B20 ( +/- 0.5C)
... Marc Marc_F_Hult www.ECOntrol.org
What is the part number for the digital I/O connector?
Best, Christopher

Sophie, of their sales team, gave me this part number:
TYCO ELECTRONICS - 1658622-3 and said it was available from Newark Electronics. Actually, she just said "Newark" and I assumed the "Electronics" part but I never followed up because I found that an XT era game port/joystick adapter cable also fits and I had a few in my junkbox.
-- Bobby G.