Wax Rings For Toilets

Speaking of wax rings, a really funny joke to play is to reverse the piping in someones home, after it exits the water heater.

This way, all the toilets fill with hot water!

So, somebody comes in, takes a big dump, flushes.... and KABOOM! The toilet explodes.

I saw this on candid camera a couple years ago.

Reply to
Matt

I have two, new toilets on order. In anticipation, I went to Home Depot this morning to get some wax rings for the installation. I figured, easy enough. Just buy a couple of wax rings and off you go. Holy Mackerel! There are more types of toilet rings than candy bars! Some have no wax at all. Some have various kinds of vinyl rings. Some have bolts. Some don't. Some are thin. Some are thick. How in the heck do you decided which type to use? Many of them were made by the same manufacturer. The non-wax sound good, but looks like they may restrict the opening. What's the word on toilet rings?

Dick

Reply to
Dick

it's wafer thin, you know!

Reply to
Matt

Newer non-wax are good, old wax are still good, too. Have heard of a couple of instances where a portable heater was set too close to the stool and melted the wax--a non-wax one would alleviate that.

As for your particular toilets, the dimensions for them will be w/ them or available from the distributor's literature...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

How about giving really fat people a wafer thin mint after they've had a big dinner?

Reply to
John Harlow

and its skinny too

Reply to
rnr_construction

Can't see it blowing up but I can guess they 'd have a sweaty butt!

Reply to
Dave

Never had a problem with the wax rings. Well..... no problems other than "missing" the mounting point. Get the wax ring with the molded in plastic horn. Best design.

Reply to
Ron Silverman

I agree, get the one with the plastic horn molded in. In my experience, they tend to leak less.

Something I do, quite often, is buy a wax ring with the plastic horn molded in and then I'll also pick up a plain wax ring (they are cheap). In the rare instance, that the single ring is not enough, I have doubled them up and made them work. This usually only happens on older piping, where the closet flange does not exist or the flange is too low, due to poor installation or added floor height (due to adding tile, for example). Having an "extra" is a good idea anyway and it sure beats having to run to the store, since they are so cheap.

Reply to
luv2cmwork

Thanks for the input. I will buy the one with the plastic horn and extra plain wax rings. I know at least one of our toilets needs two wax rings since we put tile in the bathroom.

Dick

Reply to
Dick