Wax for bannister hand rails

Can anyone suggest a wood wax I can use on my banister hand rails that will leave a shinny, but tacky coating?

I just had my banisters tightened and refinished and the hand rails are too slippery now. Is there a wax I can use to resolve this condition?

Thanks,

Freckles

Reply to
Freckles

A couple of warm muggy days, ideally with kids visiting, will fix you right up. You don't want tacky, you just want something other than piano-bench shiny. Tacky captures hand grunge, and the wood gets scummy in weeks. (The 80 year old wood rails in the stairwells at my office have that problem. You can scrape the crud off with a ruler. )The natural grain of the wood will provide plenty of grip, unless is is buried in a clear finish. Same problem as on uncarpeted wood stairs for people wearing socks without shoes.

Reply to
aemeijers

Odd problem...only thing I can think of is to apply a light coat of paste wax and leave it, without buffing. That might make the rail look smeary but you can always buff it up. How is a rail "too slippery"? Any chance someone got something oily on it? Tried cleaning with household cleaner?

Reply to
norminn