Wattage of Todays Computers V/S Older ones

I don't have a watt meter so if I want to check power, I run the device off my UPS and simply measure battery current and multiply by it's voltage, then figure the device is using 90% of that
On 2/18/2016 11:23 AM, philo wrote:

Didn't I remember you're an electrician, or a big battery guy? No clamp on ammeter?
--
.
Christopher A. Young
Stormin Mormon wrote:

New ones have better high efficiency power supplies. Electronic components are getting smaller and smaller increasing circuit density. So of course new ones use energy considerable less. That points to it also depends on product quality.
On 02/18/2016 11:52 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Stormin Mormon: I have not seen you in years. After you went ballistic over what history now refers to as "The 100 watt Light-bulb Incident". I had to take you off my news feed. That was a long time ago, so what the heck...you asked a question I might as well answer it.
Yes, I was an industrial battery and charger service engineer for 38 years and do have both AC and DC clamp-on meters, they are somewhat accurate, but my D.C. ammeter is a precision instrument and I prefer it.
BTW: To those here not familiar with the "100 watt" incident, I'm sure there would have been a big article in the New York Times written by the reporter who keeps all that happens on Usenet, on the front pages.

I have an assortment of clamp ons too but for things like this the kill a watt seems to do the best job since it actually averages the load out over time but you can also get instant readings.
On 2/18/2016 1:23 PM, philo wrote:

What a shame. I barely remember the light bulb thread. Some thing about a guy who wanted to return light bulbs to the store, and I commented on that. Just can't remember.
Well, if Philo is so unforgiving that he filtered me (many years ago) about light bulbs, he deserves what he gets. Or doesn't get. Guess I won't be buying his book, when it is printed.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

I can simply change the display mode on my Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD UPS to see how many watts my system is using. It may not be absolutely accurate, but close enough for my needs.
I have a Kill-A-Watt meter too, but haven't connected my computer to it since I last upgraded the hardware.