Wattage of Todays Computers V/S Older ones

Playing with my kill a watt shows that playing a streaming video (Netflix or whatever) is about the most CPU intensive thing I do. I don't play interactive games tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, sure gpu and cpu work harder when streaming video. That's why they have cooling fan on them. Will be interesting to see the difference when you stream 480p vs. 1080p video.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Stormin Mormon: I have not seen you in years. After you went ballistic over what history now refers to as "The 100 watt Light-bulb Incident". I had to take you off my news feed. That was a long time ago, so what the heck...you asked a question I might as well answer it.

Yes, I was an industrial battery and charger service engineer for 38 years and do have both AC and DC clamp-on meters, they are somewhat accurate, but my D.C. ammeter is a precision instrument and I prefer it.

BTW: To those here not familiar with the "100 watt" incident, I'm sure there would have been a big article in the New York Times written by the reporter who keeps all that happens on Usenet, on the front pages.

Reply to
philo

I have an assortment of clamp ons too but for things like this the kill a watt seems to do the best job since it actually averages the load out over time but you can also get instant readings.

Reply to
gfretwell

I can simply change the display mode on my Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD UPS to see how many watts my system is using. It may not be absolutely accurate, but close enough for my needs.

I have a Kill-A-Watt meter too, but haven't connected my computer to it since I last upgraded the hardware.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

It's not surprising. Most of the power is capacitive switching. No switch, no power. Run super fast switching, and it sucks power. The logic is not transistor drawing high idle current, like really old stuff.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

What a shame. I barely remember the light bulb thread. Some thing about a guy who wanted to return light bulbs to the store, and I commented on that. Just can't remember.

Well, if Philo is so unforgiving that he filtered me (many years ago) about light bulbs, he deserves what he gets. Or doesn't get. Guess I won't be buying his book, when it is printed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon