New type of screws v older type

I just fitted something to the wall using the supplied plugs and screws and came to the conclusion that the new (modern design) screws are not as good as the old ones as they have less taper and therefore - whilst they cut a thread in the plug - they don't open it out so that it tightens (wedges) itself into the drilled hole.

It feels like a good case for maintaining a stock of good old number 8 and

10 screws.

Any comments?

Reply to
John

Yes, you've said this before, and I answered!

Reply to
usenet

No, you've come to the conclusion that the screws and fixings supplied with any fitting are complete crap and must ALWAYS be discarded.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On 14 Dec 2004, Christian McArdle wrote

I never use the "supplied fixings, but DISCARD THEM? God, no.

They go in in the screws-and-fittings box along with all the other crap things that you'll never, ever need unless you've thrown them away in which case they'd have been exactly what you were looking for.

Reply to
Harvey Van Sickle

Nah. I will never have the need for cheap 10mm long yellow plugs that wouldn't hold up a piece of tissue paper. I only ever use brown plugs with

5mm or 6mm screws.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

5mm in brown plugs won't be nearly as well fixed in the wall as 5mm in red plugs in my experience. 6mm in anything is overkill except for holding up a hammock in my opinion, I don't think I've got any 6mm screws in my house at all (I do use them in the fencing outside so I have them available).

The kitchen cabinets are all hung on 5mm x 70mm screws I think and the monitor arm uses the same (or maybe only 4.5 x 50). Just about everything else (shelves, pictures, etc.) is on 4mm screws in yellow plugs.

Reply to
usenet

It may depend on the walls. I have crumbly brick. 5mm into brown plugs holds just fine. Perhaps you've used too big a hole before?

My kitchen cabinets are held up with rawlbolts. Anything heavy enough to cause injury uses 6mm. Anything smaller uses 5mm. Why go smaller? It isn't as if screws or plugs cost much. Having said that, I have used one or two red plugs occasionally because the fitting would accept 5mm screws because the holes are too small.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

A single 5mm screw will carry a huge weight. The size of screw is pretty well irrelevant as regards strength, what matters is how well it's stuck in the wall. My experience is that 5mm screws in red plugs are simply not going to fall out of my walls anyway and, given that, they are more than amply strong to take nay sort of sane weight.

Reply to
usenet

Less taper is a good thing. You want expansion deep in the hole, not near the surface. If they don't expand enough, use a bigger screw relative to the plug.

Reply to
Andy Dingley