Waterproof glue

Need some waterproof glue for a small project out of treated wood, Plexiglas, and ceramic that will be underwater. Epoxy seems to only last 6 months to a year before it looses its grip. Anything better? I don't need much.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Kuechle

Maybe this:

I would think you probably need to use a mechanical fastner like SS screws.

Another thing to try might be increasing the surface area glued by using lap joints or even a glue joint if possible.

Limp Arbor

"Dan Kuechle" wrote in news:49b5108f$0$22039$ snipped-for-privacy@news.usenetserver.com:

Titebond 3 is waterproof;a wood glue.

if epoxy is losing it's grip,then you're not getting enough penetration into the wood,a problem with treated wood. Perhaps a thin boat-building epoxy like West,System Three(try their trial kit),or RAKA would work better.Those you coat the wood with the thin epoxy first,then use fillers to turn the thin stuff into a thicker glue.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Epoxy is a filler. If you want something to be held by epoxy, you have to make a form and have the epoxy surround both objects.

You'd do better to use screws/clamps/etc. What are the shapes involved?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

???

Epoxy is a very tenacious glue for many materials. It is not a filler until you add other materials to it to make it a filler. In fact, when using it to glue porus materials such as wood, you need to add filler for it to adhere properly.

Reply to
salty

Read the fine print. While it meets the "waterproof" rating, it is not suitable for submersion.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Submerged wood?

Reply to
Davej

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:T2etl.13975$ snipped-for-privacy@flpi148.ffdc.sbc.com:

yes,you're right.

submersing WOOD is not a good idea in the first place.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I thought it was dumb too, but people even put boats in the water.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Not sure but you might check Gorilla Glue. I know you use water to make it adhere

Reply to
evodawg

JBWeld. If you use SS fasteners, all the better.

Reply to
Phisherman

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in news:OPjtl.15366$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

yes,but wood swells when wet,so it closes up gaps in the joinery. ;-) My dad preferred wood boats,as he could take out a damaged piece,bolt in a new one,and refinish it. Some woods like Cypress are naturally water-resistant. ISTR there's some place in the US where they recover old trees that became waterlogged and sank to the lake bottom,and they mill it and it's still better wood than what's logged today.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

on 3/10/2009 8:43 AM (ET) Jim Yanik wrote the following:

Aqua Logging. Google it.

Reply to
willshak