Waterproof glue for teapot?

Is there a glue suitable for sticking the spout back on to a teapot?
Obviously it would need to be resistant to heat and water, and not
dissolve into the tea and poison us.
Thanks,
- guy
Reply to
Guy Snape
On Jan 31, 2:57=A0pm, Guy Snape wrote:
Two part epoxy like Araldite. I tried evostick for this once. The spout fell off when it got hot.
John
Reply to
John
I simply would not do this. The danger of hot (near-boiling) liquid spewing out over people (or just me!) when the spout fell off would not be fun.
And, depending on the damage that caused it to fall off in the first place, you might find it still unusable.
Reply to
Rod
Guy Snape says...
I've used Araldite to reattach a knob after it's spot weld failed that held it to the lid of a stainless steel tea pot. That has put up with boiling water for several years now. However, for sticking a ceramic spout back on I'd be dubious. As another poster said - it could always fall off again and scold someone. If the teapot is of some sentimental value I'd fix it with araldite then just put it in a display cabinet, certainly not use it.
Reply to
David in Normandy
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:14:22 +0000, Rod wrote:
I agree .I thinking poisoning would be the least thing to concern yourself about....You pour boiling water in to the teapot,stir it a couple of times,replace the lid then take it to the table and as you lean over to pour the tea,possibly with the cup or mug in your other hand the spout decides to remove itself from the teapot and someone possibly yourself ,gets a blast of extremely hot water over themselves . Not nice , Dump the teapot and buy another one . What is so special about that one anyway ?.It can't have been valuable else you would not have been using it anyway .
Reply to
anyoneanywhere
Epoxy is very good for this.
If the spout will stay in place without assistance mix up epoxy THROUGHLY, smear on, squidge spout back on and use acetone or cellulose thinners to clean up.
If it wont stay in place try to use a rubber band.
I always bake these repairs in the bottom aga oven - around 90C. That seems to cure the epoxy better and harder.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
In article , snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com says...
If the teapot is of great sentimental value, stick it on a nice display shelf and buy a new one. I really wouldn't try to glue it.
Reply to
Skipweasel
I'd be more worried about the hot water than I would being told off.
[It's "scald", not "scold". :o) ]
Reply to
Huge
How about JB weld. Try the waterweld stuff, drinking water safe and heat resistant to 300 F / 148 C
that helps
Reply to
Rob Horton
Just as a warning for this material - which I agree might tolerate the temperature - it does set with a definite grey colour which would be all too apparent if this is a white teapot.
I know this is a bit geekish, but I've used one of the other JB Weld epoxies to make a methylated spirit stove out of a beer can - at about 1 oz this is very satisfactory for ultra lightweight camping.
Rob
Reply to
robgraham
Thats why I use a clearish epoxy.
Its actually pretty good,and I can add microballoons to make it white.
As I said. setting it at a higher temperature than it will get in use, makes it pretty safe from that point of view.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
I used Araldite on a large ceramic teapot handle twenty years ago and it's still going fine.
Jonathan
Reply to
Jonathan

Site Timeline Threads