Water softener questions

Page 1 of 2

I've been thinking of a water softener because I'm tired of scrubbing lime off my sinks and tubs. I've read some of the suggestions about using wax on faucets and was wondering if your happy with this alternative? I have a shower filter that works great for taking out chlorine but I don't think it does much for lime. I also have a heavy duty counter top filter that attaches to the faucet for drinking water.
I have heard some people say that by softening the water you take out minerals that your body needs. Then another site I was reading says that most of those minerals you get from regular food and you would need to drink a bathtub full of water to get your requirements so it doesn't matter anyway.
So what do you think? I was looking at a cheap whirlpool model and the reviews seem to be better on those than the boss menards sells.
thanks

You have to take into account other things. Water hardness, proper sizing of the softener, etc. Even potential damage to appliances (water heater/dishwasher/clothes washer, etc.) from minerals.
A "cheap" unit is not the answer, regardless of the reviews. How much is "cheap for the unit you reviewed?
A call to your water utility may answer the hardness issues or find them on the 'net for your location. This site is run by a former poster here and has great information.
http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/index.htm

Not only great information, but great service at a fraction of the price. Bought a unit from Gary last year. What a guy! A bit abrasive attitude, but ya gotta figure he deals with a lot of people who are looking to pick his brain, and he may not get anything in return.
He beat my local lumber yard on quality & price. In fact, lumber yard was almost double the price since they had to "order" what I wanted.

For those interested, search this group for author: Gary Slusser ...back several years.
Old threads and now his web forums. A phone call is not advised. The man is busy.

Well, sad news. I was reading in Gary's forums. I knew Clack was shutting down internet sales, and it is the valve Gary recommended.
Gary has RETIRED! Good for Gary! He posted in part "The bottom line is that after 14 yrs online and 24 yrs in the business, I, actually WE are seriously enjoying no phone calls, not answering emails and posts all over the internet"
Looks like no need to recommend Gary anymore. Still I am very pleased I bought from him. Hope this link works. http://www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t 82

Thanks for that update. I was not aware of this. If his web site stays up, it is still a good resource. If the site goes down, likely google will have it cached.
On Monday, September 13, 2010 2:21:42 AM UTC+5:30, Oren wrote:

http://usemyreviews.com/water-softener-reviews/

I love my water softener (Rain Soft). We don't have any of the scaling problem we used to get in our old house. We don't have to drain out water heater, coffee machine stays clean, and showers stay cleaner,. Down side is, if you drink a lot of water you need to be careful about the sodium intake. They are not recommended for people with high blood pressure. You can use potassium but it's way more expensive than salt. If you get one installed be sure to get separate lines for your yard (or pool if you have one) because you don't want to put all that salt in your yard because it builds up over time. Plus, I got a under the sink water filter that takes the salt out of our drinking water (don't for get the ice machine, soft water doesn't make very good ice). As a side note: If getting seperate lines is too expensive, you can shut your ws off while watering the yard.
I think you're probably right about the nutritional aspect but I think that is determined by how much water you drink. My father-in-law is a chemist and he says soft-water can actually deplete you of minerals. I just ignore him <g>.
Jim
JimT wrote:

I'm glad you do, lord knows you paid enough. ____________________

There is no salt in your softened water. Sodium ions, yes; salt, no. __________________

Even if there was salt dissolved in your water a filter wouldn't remove it. Filters remove solid particles.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Confused? Of course. A water softener removes calcium and magnesium ions in exchange for sodium ions. This happens on the surface of a substance called an ionexchanger inside the "softener". This process is reversible, and every once in a while you have to regenerate the ionexchanger. That happens by adding a "brine" solution to the softener "machine". This is a concentrated salt (sodium chloride) solution. After the inoexchanger is regenrated, the excess salt has to be removed. Usually this is done by letting the water flow through to a waste collection point. If you let that stream into your uard, you should have your head examined. It should go into the municipal sewer system, where it does not really do anything good, but it isn't all that bad either. Once "rinsed" sufficiently, the softener is ready for normal use.
--
Best regards
Han

Our town government recommends water softeners and that means a lot because they require a lot of water to work and flush down to the sewer. Our water is 25 hardness.
Don't get one form a big box store. They are built with poor quality resins. If you do get a softener I recommend one from Eco Water direct. They can be programmed to your needs. A good water softener should last 20 to 25 years. Big box store types last 7 maybe. You can rent them but I'd avoid culligan rentals. They are know for overpricing and hard selling and have been bankrupted a few times. At least EcoWater is Berkshire Hathaway. there are better models than Ecowater, like kinetico but you pay.
Yes the minerals you need are depleted fro the water but you can make this up with vitamins!! new water softeners add about 40 to 80 mg of salt to you daily intake. Don't ever water your plants or lawn with softener water. It's a waste and it's nutrient deficient from the plant. Softened water allow your washing machine, dishwasher and shower soaps to all clean better.
The unit I have is this http://www.ecowater.ca/en/products/residential/water_conditioners_softeners_refiners/err3500.php . it has a built in charcoal filter like a Brita system as well.

25? I gave up at 22 in the desert.
Lake Mead bath tub ring of calcium.
http://nebraskaweatherphotos.org/Lake-Mead-2009.html

Yeah I have pictures of lake mead in a national Geographic issue from a couple of months ago. pretty freaky! And a sign of a bad bad drought. Must be scary for Las Vegas?
There is a town about 5 or 6 miles west of us called Limehouse (Ontario Canada) that has a number of wells testing 70 grains of hardness.
Our town Georgetown gets all it's water from groundwater sources. 2 of the 7 wells are about 20 hardness. the remaining 5 are 25.

There has been a drought since I moved here 15 years ago. The lake level has dropped 120 feet in that time. New homes cannot have turf lawns in the front yard. We get a rebate for removing lawn turf and changing to a desert landscape. Some old homesteads that were flooded when the damn went in can now be seen.
The water utility is putting in a "Third Straw" intake pipe down another 600 feet, below current pipes.
Video with story link:
<http://www.reviewjournal.com/media/video/intake.html
<http://www.lvrj.com/news/water-authority-digs-deep-for-third-intake-pipe-at-lake-mead-79158322.html

At 70 grains, I guess you have to strain that water through your teeth. <G>

== I have used "softened" water for twenty years on my house plants and have had NO problems whatsoever. I use a commercial liquid fertilizer and my African violets thrive, my hoya thrives and even my cacti do well.
Before the use of an iron remover and softener, I couldn't see the bottom of the bath tub as the iron content was so evident. Now it is clear and nearly iron free. My laundry whites are no longer dark brown and the hose filters to the washer rarely accumulate much residue.
==

Ahh but you are adding the nutrients that plants need to the softened water. I was talking about watering plants straight from softened water without additives.

Are you planning on using it whole house, I dont like softened water for showering. How hard is your water.

softened water always makes me feel slimey getting a shower

It does at first, but you are cleaner than ever with a lot less soap. After a few days, it feels kind of nice.

Just bear in mind a water softener is swapping calcium ions with sodium ions so if you re on a salt restricted diet, don't drink a lot of softened water.