Water softener installation - drain line

Hi There,
I am trying to have a water softener installed. I got a quote of about $1K to install, mainly due to the drain line. While I don't know how much the going rate for installing a water softener (San Jose, CA), I felt the estimate of more than 60' drain line is a potential problem. This line essentially routes along my whole garage and end in an outside sewer tap in.
I saw some neighbors installed the softener drain line that dumps water onto the plants or even just the driveway. Is it OK? I do have a rain gutter pipe close by. Can I tap into that?
Thanks, Joe.

Your nighbors are idiots. You don't want the brine rinse duming on the ground.
I do have a rain

Depends, where does it go?
The gutter goes to the street, where water goes along side the curb and get into the street drain about 100 feet.
Thanks again, Joe.

The neighbors and/or the EPA will be at your door if you drain there.
How about the long route to the sewer? It seems like that's the only option? Any other opinion?
BTW, what if I use potassium for the softener? Will it allow me to use the drained water on plants?
Thanks, Joe.
You should use PE tubing in one piece and use 3/4" if you are going over 30' or, the softener's DLFC (drain line flow control) can be increased accordingly.
You don't want the discharge water on/in the ground regardless of what you regenerate with; sodium or potassium chloride.
Gary Quality Water Associates