How much detail do they expect in submitting a plan for a new furnace?

Hello all, I am in the process of filling in all the forms for a new wood-burning furnace installation permit, and intend to draw up a little diagram of how it will be installed in series next to my existing electric heat. Anyone know what level of details, or what the most important points are that I should describe? I am providing the furnace pamphlet and a few other specs on minimum duct requrements.

Thanks very much!

Dean

Reply to
dean

Clearances to flammable surfaces, type of stack, location of stack would be important.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ok thanks. The clearances are layed out in the pamphlet, and I'll describe the stack as it will be after I install a liner.

Dean

Reply to
dean

I say... "the paperwork/diagrams should be as if the inspector was visiting your house and could see everything for himself".

The idea is that they can see in advance if there will be any problems with your plans. If you can communicate *everything* you plan to do, then that is best.

And no one ever said you have to *draw* all this stuff. Take pictures and draw on the pictures!

So what I did when I submitted my plans for my wood stove...

-I put masking tape on the floor where my wood stove and hearth pad were going, then took pictures from several different angles. Then wrote the various measurements on one of these pictures (walls to stove, stove to front of hearth pad, stove to sides of hearth pad, walls to chimney).

-I took pictures of the attic area where my chimney would go and drew on it approximately where the chimney would be.

-I took pictures of my roof from different angles and drew in where the chimney would go along with measurements (height and distance from peak of roof).

-Then I included a copy of the stove manufacturer's requirements for distances from walls and hearth pad clearances for my specific model woodstove.

-Since I was building my own hearth pad, I also included specification sheets on the materials I was going to use which showed their R-values, a drawing of the thickness and layers of materials I planned to use, and a copy of the wood stove manufacturer's R-value requirement for the hearth pad for my specific model of wood stove.

-Then filled out building permit form.

With all this, the building inspector could clearly see the requirements of my wood stove, and could easily see what I planned to do with my installation.

Reply to
Bill