Water Based Polyurethane Stains ?

Hello:
Many years go, I coated a simple plywood top workbench with a polyurethane stain. Has worn like iron.
Am putting together another similar workbench, and I see now that they (also) have water based polyurethane stains available.
Would be nice not to have the odor when applying the stuff.
Are these as good as the non-water based (old) variety ?
Pros and cons ?
Thanks, Bob
No, not as good. Duh.
use the non water base for anything that will be sat on, eaten on, walked on or in your case worked on.
Unlike regular paint, I just don't trust the water based variety when I choose polyeurethane. I need to be convinced, especially in adhesion.

I vaguely remember a post a few months ago indicating water based soaked into the wood. Thereby lasting longer than oil based. Again, my memory fails me sometimes. It may even have been a post from Effi.

The bestwater based polyurethane exceeded the best oil poly for wear a long time ago as tested by Nat Wood Flooring Assoc. They conducted their tests while representing both manufacturers. Get into the cheaper brands and all bets are off, they tend to have a higher acyrlic content, easier for spreading but less for wear.
As for water based polyurethane stains, do you mean water based stains or some new product to mix in the polyurethane? (Do not dilute your poly) The new water stains are quite good from the flooring manufacturers, dry quickly, no laps. Compatible with oil and water finish.
Lots of myths and misinformation floating around....
-
Can't speak to water based Polyu stains but I've had great success using TransTint dyes in water based lacquer. The dyes can be mixed with a number of liquids and are very versatile. Check them out at www.homesteadfinishing.com