Water Based Polyurethane Stains ?

Hello:

Many years go, I coated a simple plywood top workbench with a polyurethane stain. Has worn like iron.

Am putting together another similar workbench, and I see now that they (also) have water based polyurethane stains available.

Would be nice not to have the odor when applying the stuff.

Are these as good as the non-water based (old) variety ?

Pros and cons ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

No, not as good. Duh.

Reply to
scott_z500

Reply to
nospambob

use the non water base for anything that will be sat on, eaten on, walked on or in your case worked on.

Reply to
robson

Unlike regular paint, I just don't trust the water based variety when I choose polyeurethane. I need to be convinced, especially in adhesion.

Reply to
yaofengchen

I vaguely remember a post a few months ago indicating water based soaked into the wood. Thereby lasting longer than oil based. Again, my memory fails me sometimes. It may even have been a post from Effi.

Reply to
Clark Griswold

"Clark Griswold" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

The bestwater based polyurethane exceeded the best oil poly for wear a long time ago as tested by Nat Wood Flooring Assoc. They conducted their tests while representing both manufacturers. Get into the cheaper brands and all bets are off, they tend to have a higher acyrlic content, easier for spreading but less for wear.

As for water based polyurethane stains, do you mean water based stains or some new product to mix in the polyurethane? (Do not dilute your poly) The new water stains are quite good from the flooring manufacturers, dry quickly, no laps. Compatible with oil and water finish.

Lots of myths and misinformation floating around....

Reply to
tweaked